Debating XenForo, but have a few questions first...

pivotraze

My questions will likely be (relatively) easy to answer.

1. If I purchase a license, is it a one-domain license? For example, I purchase it for x.com, is it able to be used on y.com as well (at the same time)? If not at the same time, can a license be transferred from x.com to y.com?
  2. Is there special upgrade pricing? Say, if I purchase 1.1, and 1.2 comes out, do I get 1.2 free? Or, say I buy 1.2, and 2.0 comes out, is there a reduced price?
  3. Is there a yearly renewal price?
  4. Is there a SMF conversion tool?
  5. Is there a built in Facebook login tool? For example, on my SMF forum, users can login with Facebook, but it is a separate plugin. Does XenForo need a separate plugin?
  6. If I purchase just a XenForo license, and then later need, for example, XenForo Enhanced Search, can I purchase that separately?
  7. Does XenForo have integrated SSL/HTTPS? My website has a dedicated SSL certificate, and I'd like to integrate it with XenForo as well, if possible.
Currently, this is all my questions, but more may come with time. Thanks in advance!

-Cody

Last edited:
  1. Not at the same time. You can change the domain as often as you want as long as you're only running 1 copy at a time.
  2. Nope. With your license you get a free year of updates. It's $40/year for updates beyond that.
  3. $40, but there's no "upgrade pricing" beyond that.
  4. Nope. Only vB, IPB, and phpBB. You'd have to go through one of those.
  5. Yeah it's built-in. No separate plugin required.
  6. Yeah.

1. You can use one license on one domain at one time. You are able to transfer a license from one domain to another.
2. When you purchase xenForo it comes with 1 year of free upgrades. After that it's 40 dollars per year.
3. ^
4. Should be, look in the Resources section.
5. Yes there is.
6. Yes you can
7. I would think that needs to be dealt with your domain name? I am not too sure.

Awesome, so far, XenForo seems like it'd be a perfect forum for me. One year of updates is perfectly understandable, and $40 is very reasonable. I love(d) the demo I took, so I will love to have it as my actual forum software. SMF doesn't seem to like SSL, but as long as logins can be covered by SSL, that would be fine.

One more question, is XF pretty good at keeping spam out? I originally used Vanilla Forums, but it got flooded by spam (over 1000 spam posts in a few days), then I switched to SMF with about 2-3 plugins to stop spam completely.

My questions will likely be (relatively) easy to answer.

1. If I purchase a license, is it a one-domain license? For example, I purchase it for x.com, is it able to be used on y.com as well (at the same time)? If not at the same time, can a license be transferred from x.com to y.com?
  2. Is there special upgrade pricing? Say, if I purchase 1.1, and 1.2 comes out, do I get 1.2 free? Or, say I buy 1.2, and 2.0 comes out, is there a reduced price?
  3. Is there a yearly renewal price?
  4. Is there a SMF conversion tool?
  5. Is there a built in Facebook login tool? For example, on my SMF forum, users can login with Facebook, but it is a separate plugin. Does XenForo need a separate plugin?
  6. If I purchase just a XenForo license, and then later need, for example, XenForo Enhanced Search, can I purchase that separately?
  7. Does XenForo have integrated SSL/HTTPS? My website has a dedicated SSL certificate, and I'd like to integrate it with XenForo as well, if possible.
Currently, this is all my questions, but more may come with time. Thanks in advance!

-Cody

1. A License is good for 1 forum installation. For more you will have to purchase additional licenses. I heard you get discounts on license cost if you own 3 Licenses. You can switch from x.com to y.com as long as you update your license information (I just did this today).
  2. You get I believe it's a full year of free upgrades and support after you buy your license so if version 5.0 comes out in 1 year, you can get it and everything before it free. If your license expired it is a reduced fee to upgrade.
  3. Only if you want more updates.
  4. I came from SMF Myself, there was none back then. There are people that can offer you that service.
  5. I believe that's an Add-on as well.
  6. Yes (I'm actually planning on getting the Enhanced Search later).
  7. I don't know
  8. There are some very powerful Spam Cleaner tools that allow you to delete a Users posts in 1 click. It also has integrated Q&A registration that you should be familiar with on SMF.

Awesome, so far, XenForo seems like it'd be a perfect forum for me. One year of updates is perfectly understandable, and $40 is very reasonable. I love(d) the demo I took, so I will love to have it as my actual forum software. SMF doesn't seem to like SSL, but as long as logins can be covered by SSL, that would be fine.

One more question, is XF pretty good at keeping spam out? I originally used Vanilla Forums, but it got flooded by spam (over 1000 spam posts in a few days), then I switched to SMF with about 2-3 plugins to stop spam completely.

XF has some built spam protection, you can read up on some details here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/spam-prevention-and-management.51091/
*** Should note these are 1.2 features which is in beta right now

On top of that there's plenty of 3rd party add-ons to help as well.

Two things:
1st, I can tell I'm going to love the XenForo community (I'm looking at funds now and checking to see I should purchase now or on my next check)
2nd, I'm glad to see that spam protection is actually very thorough :)

BTW, this is the first paid forum software I've actually been very serious about purchasing (I've looked at VB, IPB, but neither of those sound... well, like I'd want them).

You're looking at the newest XenForo license holder :)

BTW, if anyone else is looking if XenForo fully supports HTTPS, it does.

XenForo:
NsTIrgE.png

SMF 2:
ndrjaWP.png

Last edited:
Either you've changed your type of certificate or didn't set SMF up properly for HTTPS. It's not the *easiest* thing to do but it is certainly possible (should take 15 minutes for an unmodified installation, longer depending on the mods you had, any of the embedding mods were tricky)

Nice to see another XenForo licensee though.

Either you've changed your type of certificate or didn't set SMF up properly for HTTPS. It's not the *easiest* thing to do but it is certainly possible (should take 15 minutes for an unmodified installation, longer depending on the mods you had, any of the embedding mods were tricky)

Nice to see another XenForo licensee though.

Are you one of the developers of Wedge? I recognize your name as one, haha. I have waited since it was announced, but XenForo persuaded me with their features. However, I still wait anxiously for some other forums of mine haha.

But I do love how the SSL worked out of the box with XenForo

Top Bottom