• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

DC - Staff Room Unread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Staff Room Unread

This modification has come about because it was asked in this thread how to do it. I thought it was a good idea and so wrote a small addon to acheive it.

What it does?

It simply shows the current count of your staff room within your moderator bar at the top of the page, similar to how it shows reports etc as per image below.

Capture.webp

To install

1. Upload the library folder to you forum root
  2. Install the addon file through your admincp
  3. Go to options>Staff Room Unread Settings and set up the ID of the forum you would like to show.
Limitations
As this was a quick modification it only currently allows 1 forum. However I do think this is a good idea and will possibly develop it further in the future to support more than one.

Attachments

This is absolutely great and I can see it being very valuable for us. Does it also get activated on sub-forums (i.e. our staff room has 2 sub-forums and we probably wouldn't want it to show new posts in those).

It also got me thinking. Could you do a similar addon where the notification was visible to normal users. We have a forum which people are constantly F5ing for updated news but having this bring up a notification at the top instead would be really nice.

This is absolutely great and I can see it being very valuable for us. Does it also get activated on sub-forums (i.e. our staff room has 2 sub-forums and we probably wouldn't want it to show new posts in those).
Does not show up anything in subforums at the moment. Will have a look into sorting that out possibly later today.

It also got me thinking. Could you do a similar addon where the notification was visible to normal users. We have a forum which people are constantly F5ing for updated news but having this bring up a notification at the top instead would be really nice.

Maybe something for the future, however this would become a separate addon to this one. Even if it was added to the top in the same way, your users would still need to refresh the page to find if there are any new ones though.

Nice work coding it Marc, Did you consider using getUnreadThreadIds()?

I did indeed. However I needed the unread topics only from one forum, and this gave it me from them all. Therefore would have had to do another query to get the threads that are within that forum. The way I have done it which is the same as unreadthreadids but for one forum means that I save a query on the homepage.

A great little add-on right here. Might mess around with the code a bit later. Maybe create it for certain groups like service teams or something.

Does his have the ability to set groups? I'd like to change the phrase from Staff Room to some other name (our example would be Raid Group as we're an MMORPG community) and have it show up with each of my members in a specific group. I'm sure I can change the name through phrases, but I'd like to specify the groups if possible.

From the looks of the demo images though, if it's added to the moderation bar, it may not be visible to user groups that do not have the moderation bar.

From the looks of the demo images though, if it's added to the moderation bar, it may not be visible to user groups that do not have the moderation bar.

That is correct as the original intention of the modification was only for staff. may have a look at a user version at some point

@Sylar - Feel free to modify and re-release if you want to have a go at it before hand m8.

Understood. Then, I might have to change the location a bit. This will be a fun weekend project :)

Understood. Then, I might have to change the location a bit. This will be a fun weekend project :)

Yeah was wondering where to put that... Was going to create another bar, but then figured it would look a bit rubbish if your a mod and you have both bars. One idea I did think of which may be a bit different is actually having a tab appear with the number of new posts that links to that forum. Only visible when there are new posts.

Yeah was wondering where to put that... Was going to create another bar, but then figured it would look a bit rubbish if your a mod and you have both bars. One idea I did think of which may be a bit different is actually having a tab appear with the number of new posts that links to that forum. Only visible when there are new posts.
Then use a conditional.
Code:
<xen:if is="{$user.is_moderator}">
// append to mod bar
<xen:else />
// create new bar
</xen:if>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom