[DBTech] DragonByte User Tagging

[DBTech] DragonByte User Tagging [Paid] 1.8.0

No permission to buy ($17.49)
To be honest I didn't fully understand the description:

"Typing # then any given word will generate a hash tag that can be used to refer back to any given post."

How does it refer back to "any given post"? That makes it sound like a hashtag is unique to a single post which I assume it isn't as that's the opposite of what it should be.

I was planning to buy this and test it out but hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I guess my other question is that, at the minute the hashtag functionality seems to be tacked on (maybe just because of the title/description). Is the hashtag stuff considered a core part of this addon and will it receive the same development/priorities as the user tagging?

"Typing # then any given word will generate a hash tag that can be used to refer back to any given post."

How does it refer back to "any given post"? That makes it sound like a hashtag is unique to a single post which I assume it isn't as that's the opposite of what it should be.
Sorry about that, I'll rewrite that part of the description.

Basically, what it means is that the hash tags are clickable, which will take you to a page that lists every post that uses that hash tag, rendered using the same templates as the search results. It's like searching for a specific keyword, but without needing to type the keyword manually.

Hopefully that makes a wee bit more sense 😄

Is the hashtag stuff considered a core part of this addon and will it receive the same development/priorities as the user tagging?
Absolutely. If anything, the hash tag feature is probably the feature that would get the most improvements going forward (based on feedback), because once you have the ability to mention user groups, what more is there even to add? Send a singing telegram round their house to sing the post to them? 😝

Joking aside, the hash tags feature may seem basic just now, but that's just because I don't know what any of you lot would actually want it to do 😅

Fillip

Thanks

Will purchase tonight and have a play with it.

Any considerations for performance on a large forum or with lots of hashtags? Does it tie into ES somehow?

Any considerations for performance on a large forum or with lots of hashtags?
The data storage is pretty heavily denormalised for optimal performance.

First, you have xf_dbtech_usertagging_hash which only stores hash_id (an auto incrementing int) and the actual hash tag.

Then, you have xf_dbtech_usertagging_hash_usage which stores the actual usage:
SQL:
INSERT INTO `xf_dbtech_usertagging_hash_usage` (`hash_id`, `content_type`, `content_id`, `content_user_id`, `hash_date`)
VALUES
    (1, 'post', 3897, 1, 1531321482);
There's also an aggregate table that's used for calculations of trending hash tags.

Does it tie into ES somehow?
Not directly, but it does use XF's \XF\ResultSet class to load the actual content. This means that any optimisations XF2 has and will ever have for loading the data (e.g. post / thread / forum info) from search results will also benefit this mod :)

Not to get too technical, but the way XF2's search works is that the actual search engine is split from the rendering of the result set. ES is the search engine, which grabs an array of data that gets fed into the ResultSet class to be rendered.

Fillip

A few questions/points:

There's no permission setting or options related to the hashtags right? I can't seem to find them anywhere so I assume there aren't any.

What's the maximum character length of a hashtag? I tried a stupidly long one and it didn't work but what's the limit?

A hashtag directly followed by a smiley will convert the smiley to text. A hashtag directly followed by 2 smilies will convert the first smiley to text but leave the other as intended.

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 18.31.51.webp

There seems to be no management of hashtags or way to delete hashtags? That's an issue as there will be some that we definitely want to remove (swearing, etc).

We have "the c word" censored on our site. If you type it as a hashtag then the censor works and censors it to #**** BUT on the hashtag usage page the word is uncensored (I assume you get the idea from this image)

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 18.34.47.webp

Hopefully that feedback is useful and I think it means the addons not quite ready for a live environment (yet).

There's no permission setting or options related to the hashtags right?
Correct.

What's the maximum character length of a hashtag?
50 characters.

A hashtag directly followed by a smiley will convert the smiley to text. A hashtag directly followed by 2 smilies will convert the first smiley to text but leave the other as intended.
That is working as I would expect, and is not something that's worth trying to change since this is not something that would happen in regular usage.

There seems to be no management of hashtags or way to delete hashtags?
Correct, though I have noted your feature request.

We have "the c word" censored on our site. If you type it as a hashtag then the censor works and censors it to #**** BUT on the hashtag usage page the word is uncensored (I assume you get the idea from this image)
I'll look into that and release an update when it's been resolved. I'll change it so that it'll skip hash tags that get censored, instead of trying to maintain the censor on every different page a hash tag could appear on.

I think it means the addons not quite ready for a live environment (yet).
I respectfully disagree, and I think you're being a bit overly critical. I can't see how having missed the censor on a page is considered it not being ready for prime time, but you are of course entitled to your opinion, I just feel it's a little bit harsh to say that I'm selling a product that's not worth being called a release (as opposed to beta).

Fillip

I respectfully disagree, and I think you're being a bit overly critical. I can't see how having missed the censor on a page is considered it not being ready for prime time, but you are of course entitled to your opinion, I just feel it's a little bit harsh to say that I'm selling a product that's not worth being called a release (as opposed to beta).

Don't take it the wrong way. I think the addon is great and well worth the money :-)

But the first thing some of our users will do will try things like swear words, etc. Being able to manage hashtags is a must, else the whole widget will be full of #blahblahshitblah. I'd still argue that without any moderator/admin control over the hashtags that it's not ready to be used.

The other small bugs (the swear filter, the smiley thing, etc) are all just other ways that someone could try to break things. If there was some management functionality then they become far less important but without it, they become bigger issues.

If there was some management functionality then they become far less important but without it, they become bigger issues.
Tomorrow I can look into the idea of a hash tag browsing interface in the AdminCP that would permit the admin to delete entire hash tags from the system.

I'm not entirely sure how (or if) I'm gonna solve the problem where posts already containing the hash tag would then link to a page that returns 404, but that's tomorrow's problem at any rate.

Fillip

DragonByte Tech updated [DBTech] DragonByte User Tagging with a new update entry:

Update highlights

This update adds a new feature that was requested by our customers: The ability to browse, search & delete hash tags via the AdminCP.

The browser will display each individual usage of a hash tag, so if for instance the hash tag "test" appeared in 50 different posts, there would be 50 different entries in this list. Clicking on each individual hash tag usage will bring up an overlay containing a quick link to the content in question.

You can also delete...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Awesome, thanks!

If you search for a word and it returns all 50 usages of it, can you delete all 50 in one go?
No, they have to be deleted individually. There isn’t a good way of having an UI for deleting all of them in one go, since the list shows usage.

Fillip

@DragonByte Tech Can add option disable hash tag from special characters?

View attachment 183285

Also no content added but hash tag added.

View attachment 183288
Best bet would be to submit it as a feature request @ our site, as this post is likely to be buried by the time I get around to looking into that.

That being said, I'm not sure if that's going to be possible, since filtering characters like that would involve also dropping support for UTF-8 characters, unless I make a filter that works like "if a hash tag would otherwise contain these characters, don't set it as a hash tag". I'm not sure how I would even do that, at this time.

In either case, a feature request thread @ our site will mean I'll look at it in the future :)

Fillip

Top Bottom