1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 DB error after email confirmation is actived

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by rpg999, Jan 19, 2015.

1. rpg999

rpg999 New Member

Hello everybody, I have recently installed XF 1.4.4 on my server. When i try to register , the same thing happens

>enter all details
    >click register
    >forums is loading for a while
    >white screen with: An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later
    >account created, but no email confirmation sent

But when i uncheck send confirmation email in option, the registration process works without any errors.

On my test server i worked with version 1.4.3 and everything was fine. Anyone know what the issue could be ?

here is the screenshot
    http://joxi.ru/12MplMNI8woGmJ

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have just successfully registered the "Test" account on the forum listed in your customer area.

Can you delete the account and enable email registration so I can check again?

3. rpg999

rpg999 New Member

I have deleted you account and actived email confimation

4. Brogan

The actual error is: <!-- Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away -->

I suspect the problem may be something to do with email timing out.
    What email settings do you have configured?
    I suspect none of the email related functions will work.

5. rpg999

rpg999 New Member

I have a default setting, i 've changed nothing after installation.

6. Brogan

You may need to contact your host then and ask them to check whether the server is configured correctly, i.e. a mail transfer agent such as Postfix and PHP configured to use it correctly (sendmail_path).

7. rpg999

rpg999 New Member

So you think the problem is the hosting configuration , no xenforo ? I'will check it tomorow

8. Brogan

The problem appears to be related to the mail function, which is external to XenForo.

9. rpg999

rpg999 New Member

Its very strange , i run a php script
    mail("s*******@gmail.com", "My Subject", "Line 1\nLine 2\nLine 3")
    on the server and i still receive the mail.

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You should increase the wait_timeout setting in MySQL if possible. But otherwise, it certainly sounds like the mail() function is hanging; your example is very simple so it may not be triggering the same paths in your MTA/mail server. Any details would be in the mail log on your server (which generally needs root access to read).