database backup options

I'd like to see a feature-rich automatic backup feature.

I tend to get busy a lot, and become inconsistent with backups.

Backups via ACP would not be a good idea. Suspect there would be a LOT of timeouts on shared hosting that would gum up the works.

A lot of people have spend years backing up from admincp, never checking the .sql dump, not realizing it timed out and they actually have an incomplete backup.

Get a VPS or better, so you have access to crontab and bash shell. Life will be good.

A lot of people have spend years backing up from admincp, never checking the .sql dump, not realizing it timed out and they actually have an incomplete backup.

Get a VPS or better, so you have access to crontab and bash shell. Life will be good.
^This.

When using vBulletin forums I have completely disabled the use of Maintenance tools for my admins, especially DB dumping. I feel DB dumping should be done from the server, not a piece of software that's likely to time out. :)

Yes, Paul's Mod is really a great tool that works very well and never had issue with it.
When I moved my site to a new server I couldn't use the vB built in back-up functions as it never backed my DB fully. I then used the SSH but I had an issue with encoding in some tables and never got it right. I then used Paul's Mod and it worked very well.

Something like Paul's Mod will be a great features so that the DB will be backed-up automatically in a daily basis or whatever the admin scheduled the back-up process.

And again, I'd prefer to have that as a built-in feature, not an add-on as it's really important.

I've been using this for years AutoMySQLBackup , set it to a cron and let 'er rip locally, I have another cron scp the dumps offsite weekly. If the main server croaks I can dump-n-pump from a weekly backup that at most is a week old.
Does require shell access.

While I do agree with the statement that there are nothing better than SSH backups, something like the Paul's mod will be welcome by people without SSH access to the server (like the ones hosted on shared plans).
Paul's mod works like a charm and would be great to have it included in some form.

Top Bottom