XF 2.2 Siteground hosted backup options

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 241496
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 241496

We just started a new forum site on Siteground and they offer automatic backups of files and databases every night. Will this be enough in case something happens to our forums to restore? Is there a manual option within Xenforo? We don't want to get too large and possibly lose anything. What do you guys do? Anyone else on Siteground?

Does anyone have experience with Siteground backups and if they work if the site has a fatal or critical error?

Thought I'd follow up on this thread to let anyone else know about our experience with Siteground. We just had a fatal error last night due to too many calls at once. Researching it and getting some help from @Brogan , @AndyB, and @M@rc....we were able to narrow it down to the ulimit that the host was setting at only 60 calls. We ended up deleting our entire site and database and using a backup from the previous day which had been automatically done by the host for the files and database. Everything is up and running from that backup. So yes, the backups will work with Siteground. But no, we DO NOT recommend them as we are already running into limits on thier hosting.

We've had several fatal errors come up this past week due to too many calls at once. We figured it out that its related to the ulimit which they place at 60 for their shared hosting. We are not a busy forum by any means as we just started about 2 weeks ago.

Two Things
I'm with Siteground

I had that limit thing. I sent their support team a ticket in they gave me more resources. I forget the exact details. But I just quoted them an error message.

They do daily backups for me, and I always do a manual one if I install a new add on.
A few weeks ago there was a problem with an add on and I went to Restore and it worked fine.

Im very pleased with Siteground except for their charges going up, and the fact that it is hard to find their suppport, its hidden away

The $100 business startup plan then? We are currently on shared hosting since we switched over from a Wordpress site. For $100, I think A2Hosting or another host would offer alot more for less.

One question i have is what is the difference between managed and unmanaged VPS hosting? A2hosting offers unmanaged for $5/mo and managed for $30/mo.....so what do you get for the additional cost?

Also, i noticed in your signature @DigNap15 how did you get such higher rankings with the search engines? We are enrolled in Google search console and Bing's equivalent but don't get that great of results.

One question i have is what is the difference between managed and unmanaged VPS hosting? A2hosting offers unmanaged for $5/mo and managed for $30/mo.....so what do you get for the additional cost?
Managed - everything stated is ready and already maintained server-side. They may charge an hourly fee for additionals, though.
Unmanaged - you only get a server with the OS. You install software like Apache/NGINX, PHP, etc & maintain it yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom