Downloading a database backup from cpanel - use backups or phpmyadmin

Mr Lucky

Is there any advantage to backing up a database offline via cpanel backups, or via phpmyadmin export.

e.g. is one more reliable than the other?

Thanks to anyone with some insights into this.

You can download larger databases easier with cPanel Backups.

phpMyAdmin can timeout or it may not download the entire thing, so I always keep an eye on the file sizes.

A full cPanel backup was pretty handy recently when I helped a customer migrate to XF Cloud. The database being included strikes me as being much more straightforward than doing it via PhpMyAdmin.

phpMyAdmin can timeout or it may not download the entire thing,

The database being included strikes me as being much more straightforward than doing it via PhpMyAdmin.
Thanks, yes I do tend to go for the basic backup, however I have noticed that whenever it is downloaded that way as opposed to phpmy admin, then the forum slows down significantly while downloading

We do a cPanel backup off-site to Backblaze - backup takes 40 mins to complete, then the upload to Backblaze about 7 hours to complete. We schedule for the early hours of the morning when traffic is generally lowest, but in reality when we've occasionally had to do them during busy periods we haven't noticed any major slowdown.

Thanks, yes I do tend to go for the basic backup, however I have noticed that whenever it is downloaded that way as opposed to phpmy admin, then the forum slows down significantly while downloading
Are these the backups you are downloading from your hosting with me?

So, let's clarify that: asking XenForo for assistance for having modified things on the database side, is like not having an active subscription. So please be advised it is very dangerous and you are advised to be very cautious.
---
In my case I do this:

I access the main page of Mysql

cPanel-Main.webp

I do as if I am renaming the database

rename_Databases.webp

But instead of renaming it, I click the backup link, which appears in the pop-up window.

copy.webp

I do this, because in my case, it appears to be automatically and correctly compressed, and it is much faster to download.

Yes, I also know, that through phpmyadmin I can make a compressed backup, but it is much much slower, even if compressed.

So, this procedure (again in my case) is much faster for me to download a database even if it is large.

If anything, give it a try, and let me know if it's faster for you too.

So, let's clarify that: asking XenForo for assistance for having modified things on the database side, is like not having an active subscription.
I don't understand. I'm not asking xenforo for any assistance, which is why I posted in the off topic forum. Nor did I modify anything on the database side (if I'm understanding you correctly)

I'm just talking about downloading the database for backup and/or safety site duplication reasons.

hello, the premise was obviously not addressed to you personally, but to others who may not be familiar with the database. I have nothing to teach you, you are already an expert. I wanted to share my experience. In any case, just out of curiosity, is it faster for you too, doing with the procedure I described?

Yes.

I thought you were on holiday, hope you are having a good time.
I am on holiday, but have WiFi access.

The backups for cPanel use the same routine for exporting the database as phpmyadmin uses, and if you are downloading the jetbackup full account backups or database backups, they are totally independent of the running site and stored on external backup servers.

In the several years my site was hosted with Matt, I had no issues with slowdown when downloading backups using jetbackup or any other method.

I’m not saying it is, nor I did I think it is, anything to do with hosting at all. EDIT: It's just that cpanel backup vs phpmyadmin export seems to be different effect on the live forum.

Jet backups are irrelevant IMO as they are not live database.

Last edited:
If anything, give it a try, and let me know if it's faster for you too.
No, your method acts exactly as if I just click on the database name in Files > backup > Download a MySQL Database Backup.
nor I did I think it has anything to do with hosting at all.
In fact I believe this was the same for me with all hosts previous to matt, whose hosting is by far the best I have had bar none.

Top Bottom