- alerts for content, likes, conversations, replies
- the newsfeed of the people you follow
- my watched content
- messages on your profile
- maybe even the output of what's new
- if friends are coming online (waindigo's add-on) or are having their birthday
And small things like
- inputbox to update my status
- direct link to start a conversation
Basically all that's important right now.
This page would refresh itself. Maybe not all at the same time, but some parts more often then others.
It would be a rather "heavy" page in queries, but it would cut down the other page-requests because all can be seen on the dashboard.
So how difficult is it to make a page that loads all that content. I think xenforo has tools for it...