[cXF] Remove Location, Website and About you field

[cXF] Remove Location, Website and About you field 1.4.4

No permission to download
With the way XF permissions work, I think the permissions for this add-on are backwards. Instead of permissions requiring a "yes" to remove them, they should require a "yes" to show them. That way, the base/default user group (registered) can be set to "no" and upgraded user groups could be set to "yes" and it will work as expected when members are upgraded and demoted from additional user groups.

As it is currently, if the base/default user group (registered) is set to "yes" to remove the fields, it doesn't matter if the user is also a member of an upgraded group where the setting is "no" because yes+no=yes.

@cwe
You can use "never", instead of "no", which will will do what you want, as yes+never=no.

One can argue that the permissions are backwards, but I think I disagree because those fields are shipped by default. They are in the core. So the normal behaviour should be to have them, that is expected behaviour from the software. Unless you go and choose "yes" to remove them.

Thanks sbj, i had not considered using never instead of no, but that just reinforces my point. The logic for these permissions is the complete opposite of the logic for every other permission in XF. It's counterintuitive and inconsistent. It also invalidates the real power of the never option for handling banned user groups.

Just my $.02

I would like to report a bug.

I have this set to Yes (remove) for Registered, but the next group up No.
Also I have Location required in settings. A member just reported they got the required message but don't see the field.

This was the analysis:
Remove Location and Website field

Remove Location field
Yes (Details)
Registered Yes
Enhanced Registered Yes

So with No as the group setting, that is the winning not losing permission and it should take effect. I have switched to Never and it seems okay.

Last edited:
Also this does not hide the fields in public so if you allow websites for a group (premium) and it expires and they move to a group with it hidden, it is on their profile, and they can't edit, so admins get contacted on how to edit their website. It should be hidden from view since not allowed. Thanks

I did but it's the opposite of XF logic. A winning permission overrides a losing permission not the other way around. This was just reported but I had it set for months now thinking it followed XF logic. Thanks

Last edited:
For instance, for Normal group set it to Yes and for Premium group set it to Never.

In that case, Premium users will see the field and if a user is moved to Normal group at a later time it will hide the field for them.

It works like that.

I understand but your logic is backward, a losing permission should never override a winning permission. That goes against the whole permission nexus.

Doesn't matter what it's labeled, yes, no, show, don't, one is always winning, one is losing.

I understand what you mean, but this add-on was designed to just remove those fields. So, easily set to Yes and it's done.

In your example of usage, I can say yes, you can tell it's backward, but not sure if I'm going to change it. No one else complained about it so I think it will make too much "stress" if I change it now. Hope you understand.

Indeed. Appreciate the add-on!
For the record I have other add-ons where "Yes" removes something, but, it acts as the losing permission. So the reverse-wording is not the issue it's the reverse-expected-effect of combined permissions.
Cheers!

There's still a bug however. If you have these as required but off for groups they don't see them but get the required error. Since this is mostly for tackling spam and for new registrants only I don't foresee an issue, not many people are turning them off for longtime groups and requiring it for others, but just letting you know in case you run into it.

Last edited:
BassMan updated [cXF] Remove Location, Website and About you field with a new update entry:

• XenForo 2.2 compatibility update

Note: you'll find two ZIP files when downloading. One for XF 2.1 and one for XF 2.2. Please, make sure to use the right version.

XenForo 2.2 is currently still in beta stage and it is not recommended to use it in production, but if you'd like to install the add-on on your test forum to check it out, now you can. This add-on may get another compatibility update before the XenForo 2.2 "gold" release.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks sbj, i had not considered using never instead of no, but that just reinforces my point. The logic for these permissions is the complete opposite of the logic for every other permission in XF. It's counterintuitive and inconsistent. It also invalidates the real power of the never option for handling banned user groups.

Just my $.02

I just install this today. I agree, the permission are confusing. I set Registered user group to YES, to remove the fields to combat the profile spam. After x amount of posts, the user gets promoted to another user groups which I left all options at No. Members in that group, including my self, don't have the fields.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, but this add-on was designed to just remove those fields. So, easily set to Yes and it's done.

In your example of usage, I can say yes, you can tell it's backward, but not sure if I'm going to change it. No one else complained about it so I think it will make too much "stress" if I change it now. Hope you understand.

@BassMan Location fields showing when Location are not enabled with UI.X style. Please can you give UI.X compatibility update?

Location fields enabled:

ScreenShot00070.webp

Location fields disabled:

ScreenShot00071.webp

Top Bottom