1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom user fields title and description are not multilingual

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Mic, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Mic

Mic Member

Is it possible to specify a xenforo phrase for the title and the description of a custom user field? Because now, we have one value for all languages.

I tried to update the custom_filed_edit template to use the $field.title as a xenforo phrase but it is not working.

<label for="ctrl_custom_field_{$field.field_id}">{xen: phrase '{$field.title}'}:</label>

I have this error when I save the template :

The following templates contained errors and were not saved: custom_field_edit: 1) Line 3: Phrase name must be literal
  2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, custom field titles are stored in the phrases. Just search the phrases for the title you entered into the custom field. That will find the phrase.
  3. Mic

Mic Member

Perfect. A big thank you!
  4. OwenJames

OwenJames Active Member

I am having a bit of trouble fixing this same issue.

Can anyone go into more detail about how to do this?

I have searched the custom field title in the phrases, but it doesn't seem to exist...
  5. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Phrases for custom user fields begin with user_field_
    They are then followed by the field_id you typed in, with the option type appended: user_field_favorite_pet_choice
    Choices are then added to make more new phrases:

The values are in the language you typed in. You can use an add-on, or check for the language a member is using in a template, and load those custom fields only:

edit: wrapped the below in the code tag so smilies do not appear
    The error in the first post is because the OP is using a variable with the {xen:phrase} tag. Phrases in templates must be literal, ie: {xen:phrase user_field_favorite_pet_choice_cat} and can not be a variable: {xen:phrase '{$field.title}'}
    You can use (if applicable to what you want to display):
    <label for="ctrl_custom_field_{$field.field_id}">{$field.title}:</label>
    or use:
    <label for="ctrl_custom_field_{$field.field_id}">{xen:phrase user_field_favorite_pet_choice_dog}:</label>
    You can also use an add-on to load the custom user field phrase object(s), and send them to your template.
    $favoritePetDog = new XenForo_Phrase('user_field_favorite_pet_choice_dog');
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. OwenJames

OwenJames Active Member

Very helpful, thanks. OK, I think I got it sorted.

The multiple choice questions, are going to take some time to manually edit; you say there is an add-on to speed things up... what add-on is it?

Again, appreciate the help!