XF 1.1 Custom User Fields in XenForo 1.1

One of the most requested features for XenForo 1.1 has been the ability to define custom fields for your users. Here's a first look at the user field system we've built.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What software did you use to make that Video?

I'd like to make some videos for my forum members who have issues with using the forum navigation tools and search.

David

Is there an option where I can click on multiple quotes in this thread, and respond to each of them? Or do I have to click Reply and answer each one separately?

David

So the demo I watched in this thread, Post #1, was screen recorded using Quicktime? I didn't think Quicktime had that feature. Do you have a link?

No, But took a screenshot for you if that helps
QT.webp

Hi, I am new to this. Wondering if the xenForo Custom User Field covers the conditional user fields as well? For example, if I need my first custom user field to be a specific location name(choose from a multi select dropdown?), and my 2nd custom user field to be a interest name(another multi select dropdown)... Can this be implemented directly by the Custom User Field feature in xenForo?

Also, can you create groups according users' certain custom user field values? Say, I'd like all users from NY interested in Football to be assigned to groupF, etc...(maybe a bad example, but please bear with me)

In addition to that, say, I'd like every user be assigned automatically to a default usergroup, based on e.g. their location and special interests when their registration is done. With current core and addons, could this be done? Thanks!

forgot to mention...

The 2nd custom user field I'd like to show in the above post is supposed to be shown based on what the user chooses from the 1st custom user field.

So, the case might be, if user chooses NY from the 1st custom field, then the 2nd dropdown list would provide : Football and Baseball etc. as the possible field values; but if the user chooses TX from the 1st custom field, then the 2nd dropdown list would provide: BBQ and Education etc.... Basically, the 2nd custom user field here is a conditional/nested field based on 1st custom user field - for each individual 1st custom user field value, there shall be a different set of options provided in the 2nd field.

Unfortunately conditional user fields are not included. Nor have I seen an add-on for this, unfortunately.

You can hide content in a template based on the value of a custom field, but I assume you were looking for the fields being dynamically available based on the previous fields contents? That won't work. But if you wanted someone to set field A > Save > Now field B will be displayed > Save > Now field C will be displayed etc. that is possible but obviously not very elegant to work with.

With the usergroups, you can automatically promote users to different user groups based on a value they have put in their custom field. You can target other things based on user fields including Notices and my add-on, Notifications.

Thanks so much Chris for replying so promptly!

Yes, I am considering custom fields being dynamically available since they shall be used during user registration. I am just starting to research on a great forum software for my planned site. The 'social' part of xenForo really impressed me quite a bit so far. I'll try to check out some of the addons on this site and dig a little more in the next few weeks...

Thanks again!

I am not aware of any forum software that does dynamic, conditional user fields. Unfortunately XenForo doesn't either so that doesn't help you, but hopefully you're not basing your entire purchasing decision based on that :p

Yes, check out the add-ons and also try out a demo if possible.

Also, feel free to ask any questions you like.

Yes, I am considering custom fields being dynamically available since they shall be used during user registration.

This should be possible using the Custom Fields by Waindigo add-on.

The Library by Waindigo add-on actually has an option to use the Custom Fields add-on to do exactly this for linking a library article to a thread. It provides a drop down box to select a forum, and then populates a second box with threads in the selected forum:
dropdown.webp

This is a 'Custom Thread Field' (which is a new type added by the above add-on), but custom fields are interchangeable so you could create something similar as a Custom User Field using the above add-on. You would have to do a bit of custom programming to change it to display your choices of countries/sports/recreational activities etc. I am releasing another add-on soon that will make this easier.

Also, in the current version, if you wanted to promote a user to a specific user group based on their choices, you would have to set up individual rules for every choice (i.e., you would have to set up a separate rule for NY + Basketball and IL + Basketball).

None of this is particularly straightforward, but definitely possible.

Hope this helps make your decision easier!

is it possible to create custom-profile-fields at the "register-page" ?
I would like to add a few more fields to the registration form, like e.g. "company name", "company phone numer", etc.

Does this work properly with XF-version 1.1.1 ?
As I have read somewhere that there have been issues with "profile-fields" at version 1.1.1

Appreciate your help!

This should be possible using the Custom Fields by Waindigo add-on.

The Library by Waindigo add-on actually has an option to use the Custom Fields add-on to do exactly this for linking a library article to a thread. It provides a drop down box to select a forum, and then populates a second box with threads in the selected forum:
dropdown-png.37063

This is a 'Custom Thread Field' (which is a new type added by the above add-on), but custom fields are interchangeable so you could create something similar as a Custom User Field using the above add-on. You would have to do a bit of custom programming to change it to display your choices of countries/sports/recreational activities etc. I am releasing another add-on soon that will make this easier.

That sounds great! Thanks Waindigo! How many level of conditional dropdown lists can this add-on go, by the way? Is there a demo site that I could try out this add-on and xenForo admin functionalities? I may not have much time during the holidays, but will try to squeeze a bit time here and there to get to know more about xenForo and available add-ons! In the meantime, look forward to seeing your new add-on addressing the custom user fields released soon...

That sounds great! Thanks Waindigo! How many level of conditional dropdown lists can this add-on go, by the way? Is there a demo site that I could try out this add-on and xenForo admin functionalities?
Hi Vicki, check out this page. The demo was fixed today so its a great opponunity to try out the admin panel of XenForo.

That sounds great! Thanks Waindigo! How many level of conditional dropdown lists can this add-on go, by the way?
There is no reason why this couldn't be extended to have unlimited levels. There is no control panel for the conditional part of it and it would require some custom coding.

Is there a demo site that I could try out this add-on and xenForo admin functionalities?
I am working on getting something set up, but nothing as yet (other than the XF demo mentioned above). I have more than 30 add-on's, so it is very difficult to set up a site to demo all of them (especially with access to the Admin CP). Please take a look at the screenshots for the add-on. The main difference that you will see is that it adds the option to enter a PHP Callback to produce the Custom User Field, which is what you will use to make your conditional dropdown lists.

I may not have much time during the holidays, but will try to squeeze a bit time here and there to get to know more about xenForo and available add-ons! In the meantime, look forward to seeing your new add-on addressing the custom user fields released soon...
Great news!

Also, in the current version, if you wanted to promote a user to a specific user group based on their choices, you would have to set up individual rules for every choice (i.e., you would have to set up a separate rule for NY + Basketball and IL + Basketball).

Just to be clear, so with the current core, it is possible to pre-configure the software at the admin level and let a user be automatically assigned to a specific user group based on certain user profile field values the user has choosen during registration, right?

I am also thinking to let each user group members, after login, be redirected to their own front page based on their default group assignment, i.e. that specific front page would contain forum content etc particularly relevent to that specific user group; and of course, they shall be able to access the common forums(shared by all groups) as well if they want to. Any current add-on could accomplish this?

Thank you!

Just to be clear, so with the current core, it is possible to pre-configure the software at the admin level and let a user be automatically assigned to a specific user group based on certain user profile field values the user has choosen during registration, right?
Correct.

I am also thinking to let each user group members, after login, be redirected to their own front page based on their default group assignment, i.e. that specific front page would contain forum content etc particularly relevent to that specific user group; and of course, they shall be able to access the common forums(shared by all groups) as well if they want to. Any current add-on could accomplish this?
You can show/hide forums depending on a user group. If you want a different front page, you will need to install one of the CMS add-ons. Not sure if any of these allow customization based on user group.

Top Bottom