1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Custom User Fields import trouble vB to XF

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Ocean44, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Ocean44

Ocean44 Member

I ran an import from vB4 to XF and I'm having a little trouble with Custom User Fields

I have 12 custom user profile fields in vB that I wanted imported to XF.
    Fields #5-12 imported as expected; Custom User Fields were created in XF and the data appears to be in OK in the 'xf_user_field_value' table.

The problem is with the 1st 4 custom fields from vB's 'profilefield' table.
    No Custom User Fields were created in XF for these. No records in the 'xf_user_field' table for these.
    For the data, the import did this:
    inserted Field1 plus Field3 into the 'about' field in the xf_user_profile' table
    inserted Field2 into the 'location' field in the xf_user_profile' table
    inserted Field3 into the 'occupation' field in the xf_user_profile' table

I'm not sure, but I may have customized these 1st four vB fields vs. their use in a stock vB install.

Is there a way to change this mapping?

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

There are 4 fields by default in vB that we import into their corresponding non-custom fields in XF. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to stop it without editing the code. (It has come up before, but only a couple of times I believe).

I think there would be 2 ways to tackle this:
    1. In the source DB, change the ID of these fields in the profilefield table (editing the ID) and in the userfield/usertextfield tables (changing field1 to field123 or whatever the new corresponding ID is). I believe this should work as we only read from those tables. I probably would only do this on a copy of the original database.
    2. Or change the importer to not skip the first 4 fields (remove WHERE profilefieldid > 4) and then remove the code that writes fields 1-4 into XF's core fields. (They should automatically be imported then like regular fields.)

3. Ocean44

Ocean44 Member

Thanks for the explanation and the options -- I be able to make one of the two work.

4. Ocean44

Ocean44 Member

For method #2, where would I find this code to modify?
    I've looked in \library\XenForo\Importer\vBulletin4x but do not see it there.
    Thanks

5. Mike

It's in library/XenForo/Importer/vBulletin.php

6. Ocean44

Ocean44 Member

Right, I should have looked there.
    I see the line "WHERE profilefieldid > 4" and can remove that.
    I still could use some help with the "remove the code that writes fields 1-4 into XF's core fields" part of your instructions. (I'm not a coder.)
    Where is that? Remove what lines?

7. Mike

This code:
    Code:
            $import['about'] = '';
            if (isset($user['field1']))
            {
                $import['about'] .= $this->_convertToUtf8($user['field1'], true) . "\n\n";
            }
            if (isset($user['field3']))
            {
                $import['about'] .= $this->_convertToUtf8($user['field3'], true) . "\n\n";
            }
            $import['about'] = trim($import['about']);

if (isset($user['field2']))
            {
                $import['location'] = $this->_convertToUtf8($user['field2'], true);
            }
            if (isset($user['field4']))
            {
                $import['occupation'] = $this->_convertToUtf8($user['field4'], true);
            }

8. Ocean44

Ocean44 Member

Thank you.
    I just wanted to report back that this worked perfectly.