Custom BB Code Manager Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A last thing, my code -the one that has not been integrated yet in the current version- is now under the licence CC BY-SA 3.0. Quite a fair thing considering the situation.
This includes the stopautolink function, the template integration framework, the bbcode content protection framework, all modifications made to the BM, etc, etc.

You both obviously care about having a good, effective BBCode Manager. And as a user, that's what I want as well. I didn't realize I'd stumbled in to a "situation" when I installed Cedric's versions over the weekend.

It seems that the only stumbling block here is the license, and what can best be described as "misunderstandings" when it comes to licensing. So it seems to me that the best approach for everyone would be for Cedric to take a step back, change the license back to the original, and for KK to continue sanctioning the "unofficial" improvements made by Cedric, until KK has 1.2 out, at which point the whole issue goes away.

Personally, I just want the best addon I can get, and be assured it has a future as far as maintenance and development goes.

-- hugh

I don't expect a response, but I would like to at least give you one. Developing software is something I do on a daily basis. I deal with NDAs, licenses, and intellectual property on a daily basis. This is an ethical debate, since actions have been made to effectively change the original BBCM software and release it under a different license. Regardless of what users feel, which my seem wrong, is irrelevant to how BBCM is licensed. Even after Cedric began posting updates without my prior approval and going through me first, I allowed it for the users. I just stopped posting them as "official" updates.

My feelings and assertiveness in enforcing my license is not, nor will it ever, be wrong. Legally, that is my right.
Sigh. You are way too obsessed with "license" thing, KK. Sometimes you need to step back and looking globally at the situation. We're talking about a free add-on, and someone helping the community. I don't know all the details between both of you, and there were most likely misunderstanding, lack of communication, and awkwardness how the issue has been handled resulting this non-sense, but again no harm has been done, just a guy wanting to support and keeping alive your add-on, when you could not. Talking license in such case should be irrelevant, at least not a major issue, at best forgivable. It's not like he has stolen the code to sell the add-on, it's the complete opposite. Even now, all your reasoning goes to "license", "right", "legal" ? Am I alone to think, in this specific situation, it's kind of sad to put above all what happened/claiming license for thes first updates/etc, instead of thinking how to provide an awesome add-on together ? It was cool you allowed him at first, less cool after you stop to update for some reasons. Why did not you try to work together with him ? If I would guess, I would suspect at some point, you were not pleased Cédric has taken the lead with all these updates, and your stubbornness on the license comes from the fact you prefer to have full control on the add-on (which is understandable/nothing wrong with that). That's said, I respect such choice, but I can't help to think : "what a waste !".

... It seems that the only stumbling block here is the license, and what can best be described as "misunderstandings" when it comes to licensing. So it seems to me that the best approach for everyone would be for Cedric to take a step back change the license back to the original, and for KK to continue sanctioning the "unofficial" improvements made by Cedric ...

Personally, I just want the best addon I can get, and be assured it has a future as far as maintenance and development goes.
The code being rewritten, there is nothing to change, Cheesegrits. As user you would want the best add-on, and so far Cédric's version is the best and you could say thanks to him, he has assured a future at some point. That's why, what you said, is unfair.
It would seem there is some incompatibility in the way of working for both, it happens, so I would suggest/encourage instead, if Cédric wants still to provide new updates, to create another add-on in the RM because his work is appreciated by the users. It's kind of sad, but even after hearing users concerns, if both don't want/can't work together, there is nothing we can do more, excepting respecting author's choice. I still hope both making peace for the sake of the community, and finding a way to work together, which would be seriously awesome.

I smell Brogan near. :D My last answer about the matter here. if there is a next time I promise to answer by PC. :P

Public attack immediately after a moderator's decision. Don't do this!
Boy, I leave for a day and come back to a huge prick-waving dickfight.

I know nothing about anything, but the fact that this thing isn't getting solved over a petty game of 'no, ITS MINE!' is a little ridiculous.

And thanks to Cedric who's been continually updating this thing, despite many of us not being able to know about it, and been an extremely helpful resource. I think I'll go donate to him for his time, since no one around here seems to give the man any recognition.

Boy, I leave for a day and come back to a huge prick-waving dickfight.

I know nothing about anything, but the fact that this thing isn't getting solved over a petty game of 'no, ITS MINE!' is a little ridiculous.

And thanks to Cedric who's been continually updating this thing, despite many of us not being able to know about it, and been an extremely helpful resource. I think I'll go donate to him for his time, since no one around here seems to give the man any recognition.
Please read the post above yours and move-along or PC me about it. As an author, I have the right to license my add-ons in any which way I please. Cédric has disregarded that several times. I would also appreciate not being called a **** or prick for enforcing a license, as is my right.

Please read the post above yours and move-along or PC me about it. As an author, I have the right to license my add-ons in any which way I please. Cédric has disregarded that several times. I would also appreciate not being called a **** or prick for enforcing a license, as is my right.

I called you neither of those things despite all out efforts on your part to engender said labels. You may do with what is yours as you wish. But I don't understand something here - what's at stake? This add-on's free, so its not like you're losing money. And you sure as **** aren't making any friends with this childish stance. The man, as it seems to me, is only trying to further your original project. Why can't you just say "go with god.."? Or, alternatively, work together for the betterment of the community. I fail to see not only your, but just about any logic in this entire situation.

I called you neither of those things despite all out efforts on your part to engender said labels. You may do with what is yours as you wish. But I don't understand something here - what's at stake? This add-on's free, so its not like you're losing money. And you sure as **** aren't making any friends with this childish stance. The man, as it seems to me, is only trying to further your original project. Why can't you just say "go with god.."? Or, alternatively, work together for the betterment of the community. I fail to see not only your, but just about any logic in this entire situation.

Not bothering with you or this drama after this post.

Yes, the add-on was free. Yes Cedric released updates which KingKovifor would push forward as official if they met his standards. No this isn't some ego trip by KingKovifor.

Cedric pulled an ego trip on stewart1champ and acted as if he had rights to this add-on in some fashion when he only owns rights to his contributions and under his license he only needs to be attributed here. Cedric was upset over stewart1champ removing an add-on on his XFShowCase site and then tried to force Stewart to include his name onto this add-on in his in-use add-on list. Cedric had no right to do so, and started making with childish threats and insults which ended up with KingKovifor being flooded by a ton of PC's, emails and texts from people who alerted him to it.

This is why KingKovifor is unwilling to have anything to do with Cedric, and he is not ego trippping. He does not want any relation to someone who put him in a situation where it would reflect badly on his add-on or his reputation itself.

You people can act as if KingKovifor is the bad guy but if you've looked through everything here he has done nothing but been professional and has answered everything calmly. He has even stated that Cedric is free to make a new add-on that does not use any code from this add-on.

So before you go insulting someone for protecting their work, their name and their reputation you should actually take a look at the full back story otherwise you're being nothing more than a troll.

Given how much crap he's gotten for protecting his work I'll be honestly surprised if he releases any of his future work for free, which he has been planning on doing.

Cedric pulled an ego trip on stewart1champ and acted as if he had rights to this add-on
I think Steward is enough big to defend himself, isn't he? Now since you love to refer this thing, I've asked Stewart to respect the CC by license (source - it would avoid to misinterpret my words) like Jeremy did. After a strong argument (with Stewart), he did and this problem has been solved.

This is why KingKovifor is unwilling to have anything to do with Cedric
This is totally false. If some people want the facts, please contact by pm (I accept to be "flooded"). I'm over with this thread.

I think Steward is enough big to defend himself, isn't he? Now since you love to refer this thing, I've asked Stewart to respect the CC by license (source - it would avoid to misinterpret my words) like Jeremy did. After a strong argument (with Stewart), he did and this problem has been solved.

This is totally false. If some people want the facts, please contact by pm (I accept to be "flooded"). I'm over with this thread.
Your disregard for licensing, common curtesy of at least going through me first, and original attempts at changing the license are the exact reasons why I refuse to work with you and push your releases as official. Forsaken was correct in that aspect.

Oh boy, it's hard to keep my mouth shut, but as per @brogan's "suggestion", I'll say anything I have left to say in conversations.

-- hugh

Cedric pulled an ego trip on stewart1champ and acted as if he had rights to this add-on in some fashion when he only owns rights to his contributions and under his license he only needs to be attributed here.

So, if I read this right, you took all the new updates that Cedric had did, all by himself, moved them to a new site, and completely stripped Cedric's name from them?

So, if I read this right, you took all the new updates that Cedric had did, all by himself, moved them to a new site, and completely stripped Cedric's name from them?

No, no, no. The Buttons Manager code was under the CC by license (then same thing for my rewritten code), Jeremy quoted me in the addon presentation. Everything is fine there.

Now please everyone calms down. There will be two addons with the same purpose but with a different coding so, even if it's stupid, everybody will be pleased. No need to kill each others.
Thanks.

Personal attacks, "he said, she said" comments are useless here. The positions have been made clear. As has been asked before, take any further discussions to the parties in question directly. Further messages will be deleted and/or warnings will be issued.

Regardless of what you think about the position, recall that this add-on is free. That means you're not paying anything for it. The developer doesn't owe you anything. If you want to berate a developer for their licensing choice, then expect to pay for their stuff in the future or expect them to stop releasing things, quite possibly because of arguments like these. If you're not happy with a licensing choice, don't use their work. Maybe there will be another alternative, but maybe you'll need to have someone develop it custom for you which isn't going to come cheap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom