CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Hello @Brogan. Two questions: Are you planning to update this addon for XenForo 2? If so, will I be able to receive the XenForo 2 version if I purchase now and I'm within the support period?

It is planned but I can't promise when it will happen.

I will be moving house twice in the next few months so everything will be packed up, then I will be busy with the new house.

Upgrading to the XF2 version would require paying a small upgrade fee, unless the add-on is purchased very close to the XF2 version being released, in which case the fee would be waived.

My site loads a massive amount of bytes from SimpleCache for every page load. This causes thousands of errors a day. This is caused by a number of addons. CTA FT uses the following:
["ctaFtAutomaticFeature"]=> int(781)

But I do not use that function. (Automatic Feature)
Could you please see if this can be reduced?

It's part of the code of the add-on.

It would require custom development to remove that.

For anyone who is using Widget Framework, if you want to have the WF widgets on the Featured Threads page, just add cta_featuredthreads_featured to the position in each of your WF widgets. You can then switch off the Featured Thread blocks (Options > CTA Featured Threads and Appearance > Style Properties > CTA Featured Threads Page) to save on some database queries. :)
This is awesome thanks mate.
Great addon to thank you.

Is it possible to display the widgets on the page to please?
Like if i wanted to place a widget on forum list, i would simply set the the Position: hook:forum_list_nodes
And like you said, adding cta_featuredthreads_featured to Position works great for the sidebar.
Im wanting to add a widget to the CTA front page like displayed on forum list.
If this possible please? If so, what do i add to the Position?

EDIT: SORRY. I missed this bit thank you. My above question is answered.

@tajhay, I do use both Featured Threads and Widget Framework and you can see them in action on my site.

It isn't possible to put Featured Threads into a widget. However, it is possible to include widgets on the Featured Threads page. Check the FAQ which links to the post I made on how to use the WF sidebar on the Featured Threads page.

In addition with the 2.6 update, you can now include widgets at the top and bottom of the Featured Threads page, as @Brogan has kindly added hooks to the new cta_featuredthreads_featured_custom_top and cta_featuredthreads_featured_custom_bottom templates. The hooks have exactly the same names. (There's also a cta_featuredthreads_featured_custom_sidebar with a same-named hook though you'll probably not use this if you're replacing the sidebar with the WF one).

So, to add widgets in these positions:

ACP > Appearance > Add widget

Choose the widget you want to add (e.g. New Threads) and configure the settings as you require
In the Position box, set this to hook:cta_featuredthreads_featured_custom_top or hook:cta_featuredthreads_featured_custom_bottom depending on where you want the widget to appear.
Save and the widget will appear on the Featured Threads page.

Note: You can display several widgets in each of the hook positions. Just repeat the above for each widget and set the Display Order for each so that they appear in the required order.

--------------
Just need answer for these please.

Im also wondering how i can add the front page title and description the same as my wordpress page which has a different title and description than the forums. I would like the front page to be on google under same title/description as my WP which i am replacing with this mod. Thanks.

One more thing atm please. Im wanting to move the Title of the thread on home page below the image as seen in screenshot please. Is this possible? If so could you let me know how mate? Thanks.
Untitled4.webp

Last edited:
You would likely need to edit the cta_featuredthreads_featured and cta_featuredthreads_featured_list_item templates respectively to achieve those customisations.

Thanks mate, moving the title of the thread down looks a to tricky.

But for the page title, i would edit this like so, for google to pick it up in page source ?
Code:
    <xen:container var="$head.openGraph">
        <xen:include template="open_graph_meta">
            <xen:set var="$url">{xen:link 'canonical:threads/featured'}</xen:set>
            <xen:set var="$title">Front Page Name</xen:set>
            <xen:set var="$description">Description of front page.</xen:set>
            <xen:set var="$ogType">website</xen:set>
        </xen:include>
    </xen:container>

Then i would change to, which changes featured title to my own title:?
Code:
    <xen:if is="@ctaFtSetPageTitle">
        <xen:h1>{$xenOptions.boardTitle}</xen:h1>
    <xen:else />
        <xen:title>Testing Title {xen:helper pagenumber, $page}</xen:title>
        <xen:h1>{xen:phrase cta_ft_featured_threads_page_title}</xen:h1>
    </xen:if>

But i am unsure of the forum title,
So far i have in the browser "Testing Title | Page 2 | Forum Title".
I cant seem to find the forum title in any template for front page to change in red.
Thanks.

Is what i am doing with the title even matter with SEO?

Last edited:
Eventually, when I can find the time.

I'm in the process of moving house again (4th time in just over a year), so things are a bit chaotic and I'm going to be maxed out with real life stuff until next year at the earliest.

Was wondering how to change the display order of the blocks on the forum list page. Each time i add a new featured thread it goes all the way to the bottom under the other featured threads. I was looking for the new featured threads to go to the top and push the older ones down.

http://prntscr.com/g02wof

Top Bottom