CTA Featured Threads & Portal

CTA Featured Threads & Portal [Paid] 2.17.0

No permission to buy (£40.00)
Hmm, I'm not sure on this. I can see the point in highlighting a thread as Featured but not marking one that was previously featured as Expired. Isn't the point
of this add-on to highlight threads that are relevant at this point in time?

This term Expired marked outside a thread like this could also be confusing/misleading to others (that was the opinion of my partner and I can see her point - she suggested that "Formerly Featured" would be better if anything was to be used.)

I think that just having Featured in the thread view makes the Featured Threads stand out more than having an ever increasing number of threads marked with Expired in with them.

Fair enough.

I just thought it might be useful to potentially avoid featuring threads which had previously been featured.

I'll strike it off the list.

Fair enough.

I just thought it might be useful to potentially avoid featuring threads which had previously been featured.
I see your point, but could this be done another way? Maybe have "Previously Featured" show up on the overlay when Featuring a thread? That way it's hidden from general view but visible when you go to feature a thread.

I suspect that wouldn't go down too well because it requires a pointless click then to find out the thread was previously featured.

I'll just drop it.
If anyone wants to implement it it's a very simple template edit.

If anyone wants to implement it it's a very simple template edit.
I like the idea of showing previously featured threads.... but for staff members only. That way if a staff member is browsing for interesting threads to feature they can easily tell if it was previously selected or not before re-featuring it. If, as a staff member, I was poking around for interesting threads and saw the "Expired" label then I would not even bother reading that thread or looking further at it for consideration. :coffee:

That way if a staff member is browsing for interesting threads to feature they can easily tell if it was previously selected or not before re-featuring it.
That was exactly why I came up with the idea.

I like the idea of showing previously featured threads.... but for staff members only. That way if a staff member is browsing for interesting threads to feature they can easily tell if it was previously selected or not before re-featuring it. If, as a staff member, I was poking around for interesting threads and saw the "Expired" label then I would not even bother reading that thread or looking further at it for consideration. :coffee:
If it could be done for staff only then I'd be happier with this idea. I wouldn't want it showing to other users though.

Well it wouldn't be staff, it would be those with the permission to feature.
Staff wouldn't necessarily have the permission.

I'll just leave it though - people can just edit the template if they want to implement it.

Well it wouldn't be staff, it would be those with the permission to feature.
At least for me, those two groups would be the same. :(

I'll just leave it though - people can just edit the template if they want to implement it.
When the release is ready you could include it as a turned off template mod for those that really want to turn it on. :D

You can do it now if you like.
This is the content required for the cta_featuredthreads_thread_list_item template:

Edit: Code removed - I will add it as an update in the form of a guide

I have hard coded the styling and text, and made it available to admins only, so just edit it to suit.

I find it quite useful, so I've implemented it on my own site :)

upload_2014-2-21_22-1-26.webp

Last edited:
So you create the template and insert the contents? Didn't seem to work in either my Soft Responsive or UI.X based styles.

I'm not sure - I couldn't find the template so I created it. But when it didn't seem to work I was able to revert the template back to the original version.

Top Bottom