XF 1.1 CSS Sprites

In an attempt to decrease the number of HTTP requests made (and thereby speed up pages), virtually all of XenForo 1.1's UI icon graphics come from just two sprites.

xenforo-ui-sprite.png

xenforo-ui-sprite.png

node-sprite.png

node-sprite.png
Attached below are the 24 bit versions of the same sprites, for those of you who wish to edit them but don't have a graphic program which supports the 8 bit versions.

Attachments

• node-sprite-24-bit.webp
    node-sprite-24-bit.webp
    2.8 KB · Views: 195
  • xenforo-ui-sprite-24-bit.webp
    xenforo-ui-sprite-24-bit.webp
    5.2 KB · Views: 194
Apologies if this has been answered previously.
So I opened the 24 bit version, had a tinker and now want to save back to a png 8 bit but retain the opaque loveliness.
What setting do I use in photoshop?
Presumably I tick transparency and choose either Diffusion, Noise or Pattern transparency diffusion?

upload_2013-7-3_16-1-23.webp

So I opened the 24 bit version, had a tinker and now want to save back to a png 8 bit but retain the opaque loveliness.
Presumably I tick transparency and choose either Diffusion, Noise or Pattern transparency diffusion?

View attachment 50516

I just save it as a normal PNG and it works - do you need to select the save for web option?

View attachment 50516

That should do it but tbh photoshop seriously sucks ass with saving png-8 because it can't write out in alpha transparency like fireworks can. If you can and have adobe Fireworks save through fireworks that saves them better and keeps the filesize down even further than photoshop does plus it supports alpha transparency which I know Kier used to save out png8s.

Last edited:
That should do it but tbh photoshop seriously sucks ass with saving png-8 because it can't write out in alpha transparency like fireworks can. If you can and have adobe Fireworks save through fireworks that saves them better and keeps the filesize down even further than photoshop does plus it supports alpha transparency which I know Kier used to save out png8s.
Thanks Shelley, I have the whole Adobe suite so I will use Fireworks (for the first time!)

This doesn't have the search icon for the responsive design included on it. Does anyone have a xF 1.2 24 bit version?

Edit: Cleared cache and also used different computer to access which has never been on this forum. What am I doing wrong?

That is an 8 bit file, not 24 bit.

I had to make my own 24 bit sprite using the 1.1 version as a base and adding in the new icons.

You can use alpha channel transparency in PS CS6.
If you are new then I suggest Just save it using default PNG-8 settings with transparency and use smush it to optimise it for the web.

Top Bottom