Create Wiki table of content in threads

Moshe1010

Something that I use a lot and tired of HTML templates, is creating content tables like wiki does, and linking it to different threads/comments/paragraphes on your board.
For example how Wiki table of content looks like:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki

It's good for reviews/long articles/organizing large threads with useful information (try reading 1000+ comments in a single thread).

Thanks.

@pegasus his vaultwiki does this.
As far as I understand it, you can't keep comments + OP first message in a wiki style with vaulwiki. In other words, all comments and table of contents can't be on the same page but need different tabs, and there is no back to table of content button or arrow when you press on a section like wiki does (or title of a section).

You can use the vaultwiki bbcode in xenforo posts. But table of contents code will only work per post.

In VaultWiki, there is an option to show comments on the same page as the wiki content, but as @Alfa1 stated table of contents will only work within the same post.

If it's the wiki article, the table of contents code is generated automatically. Each section in the article body that appears in the table of contents has an Up icon to jump back to the top where the table of contents is.

If I'm understanding correctly what you want to do:
- Make a table of contents that links to the original posts that might be in different pages/threads
- Have the original posts show a link back to the table of contents they appear in

Then that's not exactly what a wiki's table of contents does. What you would have to do in a wiki is repost the content in an aggegrate form and credit the original post (such as QUOTE tags) and give each one a unique heading for the in-page TOC.

While it's not so friendly for the reposter as what I think you're looking for (although it's a feature request VaultWiki might consider), it's more friendly for the reader, because they don't have to go jumping all over the place on your forum and possibly get lost. In the end you want content that's friendly for the reader, even if a little legwork is required on your part.

In VaultWiki, there is an option to show comments on the same page as the wiki content, but as @Alfa1 stated table of contents will only work within the same post.

If it's the wiki article, the table of contents code is generated automatically. Each section in the article body that appears in the table of contents has an Up icon to jump back to the top where the table of contents is.

If I'm understanding correctly what you want to do:
- Make a table of contents that links to the original posts that might be in different pages/threads
- Have the original posts show a link back to the table of contents they appear in

Then that's not exactly what a wiki's table of contents does. What you would have to do in a wiki is repost the content in an aggegrate form and credit the original post (such as QUOTE tags) and give each one a unique heading for the in-page TOC.

While it's not so friendly for the reposter as what I think you're looking for (although it's a feature request VaultWiki might consider), it's more friendly for the reader, because they don't have to go jumping all over the place on your forum and possibly get lost. In the end you want content that's friendly for the reader, even if a little legwork is required on your part.
They key thing is that a lot of useful information is getting lost through time. Many good comments from users that contain LOTS of information are going to the drain unless a user specifically finds it via forum/google search, which is not that common. So a Wiki that has all the information from different parts of the forum is pretty good idea IMHO, since:
1. It organizes zillion threads with gazillion pages to one big, specific, wiki - which saves tons of time to the user
2. It doesn't generate duplicate content on your website, which could be bad for google ranking/overall (if you want me to do some "legwork" and basically copy-paste the content of other users to a single page/thread - I can't really delete their own comments/info since the thread would loss its meaning or chronological order of comments afterwards).

Top Bottom