Implemented Create permission to allow forum thread titles to be viewed, but not thread content

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I would like an additional permission which allows users to click on a forum title and see the thread listing, but when clicking on a thread title, the usual message relating to lack of permissions is displayed.

So for example, this is what a guest would see when clicking on the Have You Seen forum, the same as a normal registered user: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
But that's as much as they can see, they can't actually read any of the threads.

I did a search to see if this had been suggested already but nothing came up.

Upvote 37
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
If this can't be implemented then being able to see the node title would be a start.

Right now if I set the "View node" permission to Default, it disappears from view completely.
So I have no way of letting guests know there is X forum as they either have full read access or it doesn't appear at all.

If this can't be implemented then being able to see the node title would be a start.

Right now if I set the "View node" permission to Default, it disappears from view completely.
So I have no way of letting guests know there is X forum as they either have full read access or it doesn't appear at all.

Yep it's quite a lacking feature one that im holding out for.

Make a permissions setting where unregister users can view the forums, but have to register to view the contents.

Example : We set the permission on revoke, people can see the forum and threads, but when they access it, it will give them a error: You do not have permission to view this thread, or you must register to view the content.

*It would be nice if we can setup the message for the unregistered user.

The only things you'll achieve are less traffic (search engines can't get to your content and rank it for people to find) and an unfriendly welcome to the guests who against all odds do find your site, which will make it less likely they will stay let alone register.

The only things you'll achieve are less traffic (search engines can't get to your content and rank it for people to find) and an unfriendly welcome to the guests who against all odds do find your site, which will make it less likely they will stay let alone register.

A message under the forum's name could solve the unfriendliness: Only registered users can see the contents.

What is better:
#1 Not to see the forum at all
#2 See the forum but to be aware of a necessary registration.

I just discovered this suggestion :),

Although I am also worried about this:
The only things you'll achieve are less traffic (search engines can't get to your content and rank it for people to find)

... I believe I can definitely make use of this for a new XenForo (business-)client I am attracting. They want to have (some) non-public forums on their platform who can only be accessed by paying. I think that by showing the thread-titles instead of only the forum title <-- or even nothing at all (invisible forums), it will stimulate the interest in the forum and subsequently/logically it will stimulate payments, so it is beneficial for the monetization of the forums.

If it's a paid-for only forum, Google can not access it anyway, so the worries about that don't apply here (in my example) to begin with.

Just adding my support to this suggestion, it is a pretty important one, the ability to show guests that you *have* the content they need but that they *need* to register to get at it... fairly important I would have thought :)

Until today I was not aware this option wasn't built in already... was quite surprised to find it isn't.

great suggestion, I would definitely love to see this implemented!

Alternatively it would be great just to see the Forum-node, but clicking on that "hidden" Forum will result in the Error-Message "You are required to Log-in to see this.....".

Thanks Mike :)

Top Bottom