Implemented Create permission to allow forum thread titles to be viewed, but not thread content

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I would like an additional permission which allows users to click on a forum title and see the thread listing, but when clicking on a thread title, the usual message relating to lack of permissions is displayed.

So for example, this is what a guest would see when clicking on the Have You Seen forum, the same as a normal registered user: http://xenforo.com/community/forums/have-you-seen/
But that's as much as they can see, they can't actually read any of the threads.

I did a search to see if this had been suggested already but nothing came up.

Upvote 37
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Has anyone tested this scientifically and proven that hiding posts from guests entices them to sign up? I would think it would tease them into it, but yeah I'm worried about Search Engines not getting in. Also it would affect advertising click throughs if that's your business model.

This would be a great feature for a private forum or a paid membership forum, where search engine traffic doesn't matter but enticement to visitors does.

Have you read the post above, or noticed the thread prefix and which forum the thread is in?

I noticed that you said this was implemented in 1.1, but I have installed 1.1 and for the life of me I can't find out how to *show that a board exists to guests but not allow them to see its contents.* How do I do that? Thanks.

Is it possible to open up certain threads to everyone's view when those threads are in a board in which only the titles can be seen?

Is it possible to open up certain threads to everyone's view when those threads are in a board in which only the titles can be seen?

Not by default. You will need a custom mod for that or make some manual changes to the Thread.php file inside the Library/Xenforo/Model/ folder.

Would also like to add an icon to a forum defined like this. For now I'm putting (Members only) after the forum title to reassure members it's a private area.
So when it is set as a members only forum it automatically gets an icon after its forum title.
For once I am without inspiration on what kind of icon!

It would be cool to have this icon after the page title for threads or posts in such a forum. Or an extra border?
I think members need to be strongly reassured and reminded that they can speak more freely in such a private area.

Would also like to add an icon to a forum defined like this. For now I'm putting (Members only) after the forum title to reassure members it's a private area.
So when it is set as a members only forum it automatically gets an icon after its forum title.
For once I am without inspiration on what kind of icon!

It would be cool to have this icon after the page title for threads or posts in such a forum. Or an extra border?
I think members need to be strongly reassured and reminded that they can speak more freely in such a private area.

just use a "Notice" telling guests that that specific forum content is viewable for registered members only ?

Top Bottom