cPanel backups via ftp

steven s

I used to use backup smart but files just started getting to big.
I'm looking for either software or a website where I can save multiple backups of files and databases online to a remote server with occasional local copies to my home drive.

I've seen some use cPanel. Others use WHM and grab everything.
Also saw some sites that suggest saving to AmazonS3.

Any suggestions regarding backing up from cPanel?

ONLY SUGGESTIONS RELATING TO CPANEL.
SAVE YOUR COMMENTS ON HOW CPANEL SUCKS OR HOW I SHOULD BE RUNNING AT SOME LINE COMMAND PROMPT. IF I COULD, I WOULD. I'M DANGEROUS AT THE ROOT LEVEL.

I used to use backup smart but files just started getting to big.
I'm looking for either software or a website where I can save multiple backups of files and databases online to a remote server with occasional local copies to my home drive.

I've seen some use cPanel. Others use WHM and grab everything.
Also saw some sites that suggest saving to AmazonS3.

Any suggestions regarding backing up from cPanel?

ONLY SUGGESTIONS RELATING TO CPANEL.
SAVE YOUR COMMENTS ON HOW CPANEL SUCKS OR HOW I SHOULD BE RUNNING AT SOME LINE COMMAND PROMPT. IF I COULD, I WOULD. I'M DANGEROUS AT THE ROOT LEVEL.

I'm using cPanel's "Backups".
"Download a MySQL Database Backup"
Choose the one you want to download and it will do it safely,quickly.

I'm using cPanel's "Backups".
"Download a MySQL Database Backup"
Choose the one you want to download and it will do it safely,quickly.
Sure. I can do that. And the program backupsmart works fairly well running on my Mac to download cPanel backups automatically.
Backupsmart lets me make multiple backups but I'd rather be backing up to somewhere else automatically.

But thanks.

You could use cPanel and browse one level above ROOT directory with File Manager, then use the ZIP tool option to compress the public_html folder stored as a copy of it one level above root as an archive, public don't have access to see.

One of the problems I face with cPanel backups is that you need enough dish space to for the backup.
I have had times where I've ran out of space and would need my host to kill the process and restart.
I think that's they do.

As a cPanel host, I would strongly recommend something like R1 Soft over depending on remote back ups generated via WHM.

The server I have, is setup with 2 drives, one for the OS and websites and the 2nd, for backups

I use a basic bash script which sends the backups each day to an off site ftp space, using ncftpput.

It also writes the backups to a folder by day of each month, so I retain about 30 days worth of backups.

As a cPanel host, I would strongly recommend something like R1 Soft over depending on remote back ups generated via WHM.
I'll look into that.
The server I have, is setup with 2 drives, one for the OS and websites and the 2nd, for backups

I use a basic bash script which sends the backups each day to an off site ftp space, using ncftpput.

It also writes the backups to a folder by day of each month, so I retain about 30 days worth of backups.
For that you are making your own backup not using cPanel?

I haven't tried with cpanel directly, but under WHM...you can set a remote ftp site to backup to...
ifif you
backups.webp
if you don't set a remote backup , it will store everything locally in the default backup directory

I haven't tried with cpanel directly, but under WHM...you can set a remote ftp site to backup to...
ifif you if you don't set a remote backup , it will store everything locally in the default backup directory
I haven't notice it there.
I have a new build of WHM and still finding my way around. I'll take a look later.

For that you are making your own backup not using cPanel?

No I use WHM's standard backup feature, which saves to /backups
I then run a script 1 hour later, which copies all backups to an off site FTP server, so it retains upto 31 days worth of backups

Now I recall one of the problems I have in backups.
One of my data files is 1.5G. Backing it up through cPanel raises the server load and no one can access the site.

Is it backing it up to a seperate drive?
If you're not TOO concerned with the size of said backups, you could try turning off compression, the Gzip process takes up a LOT of cpu power.

Is it backing it up to a seperate drive?
If you're not TOO concerned with the size of said backups, you could try turning off compression, the Gzip process takes up a LOT of cpu power.
Ah. Didn't know that.
For any Mac fans out there I came across http://www.sequelpro.com/. Pretty cool.
I used it to make a local backup. Eventually it timed out. I'll try no compression next time.

I use Cpanel to do the weekly file backups and a script to do daily/weekly/monthly backups of the database to the spare hard drive on the server and than use rsync to sync the files to our home server.

As suggested don't gzip the backup especially when they are a larger size as it will slow the server to a crawl unless you are running on a very modest server.

I think our backup is around 28G which is mainly files from manuals and such.

Top Bottom