Cool Games not found on Steam

Adam Howard

Steam seems to be the popular method these days on finding new games to play. But not every game out there is run on Steam.

I thought it was about time we shared what games we like to play, which maybe not part of the general Steam bandwagon.

Dark Space - darkspace.net

Fire Fall - firefallthegame.com

Hawken - playhawken.com

Steam seems to be the popular method these days on finding new games to play. But not every game out there is run on Steam.

I thought it was about time we shared what games we like to play, which maybe not part of the general Steam bandwagon.

Hawken - playhawken.com

Hawken is an amazing game... haven't played for awhile but I wonder if the clan/group play has improved.

Fire Fall is an awesome game as well that's come a long way :D.

Of course...

League of Legends is a great nerdy time killer.

I find nothing wrong with steam. Infact, I find Valve to be one of the better (if not best) companies out there where primary goal are to it's customers. Not to mention they created the l4d series and hopefully (pending they can count past 2) they bring us some news that l4d3 will be developed. yeah, I wait that day.

*roots for Valve* (y)

Hawken - playhawken.com
In answer to your question.....

I must ask my own...

When you say new games ... do you mean new production or any game regardless of release date that may be new to you and a new gaming experience for yourself?

I ask because it would greatly change my answer

Godus will be a good game when it comes out later this year (unsure though whether steam will be involved somehow). But the original maker of the god sim "populous" is reviving it after reaching out on kickstarter, a game imo that is certainly worth keeping an eye on. http://www.22cans.com/

Another oldie that is making a revival, again using kickstarter to fund the project. The new Elite space trading game (technology has finally allowed for this game to be truly great). http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In answer to your question.....

I must ask my own...

When you say new games ... do you mean new production or any game regardless of release date that may be new to you and a new gaming experience for yourself?

I ask because it would greatly change my answer
Classic and older games are acceptable. I'd like to add "Black & White" and "Black & White 2" to that list. If I could get them running smoothly on Windows 8, I'd be all so game happy right now.

But generally speaking, I guess I had current running games in mind. Dark Space (for example) has been out for years, but its still updated and people still play it.

I've actually come to like Steam....

The 1st time I used it was way back in the day in its early beta and v1. Back then the games were VERY costly (more than it would have cost in the story) and Steam was slow & used a lot of resources. I kind of backed away and only returned when Half Life 2 came out.... But I only played that game 1x and hated that it had to always be connected to the internet. So I again walked away from Steam (which still used a lot of resources at the time).

Today's Steam is more appealing to me. The games are affordable, Steam uses almost no resources, and not all the games require me to be online. So it's growing on me and I use it more. But I do feel that sometimes games are overlooked because they're not part of Steam (thus the point of this thread).

Ditto, I also use steam when I get the time to find a game and can find a crew of people to have a good time with but mostly I like having the ability to play game that can be modded and shared for all to enjoy. Steam doesn't allow for a whole lot of that as far as I remember so I tend to buy a game from steam for myself and a friend and play it somewhere else if anything. My steam friends list never got big because I couldn't help but get bored when mods couldn't be added.

Either way I have brought this up before but really if you like old simple games and like a game open to and welcoming a modding community....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

Pretty damn amusing game here...completely open, everyone is encouraged to mod and redistribute, and has a great story of existence.

youtube search mugen , there is some pretty epic matchups

I can't talk outside of Steam, it's the only thing keeping me active in XenForo development at the moment. :p

But in all seriousness, one game outside of steam that I loved and bought right away was NEO Scavenger. It was fronted by an ex-Bioware employee. Great game and I highly recommend playing the demo on their website.

http://bluebottlegames.com/main/node/2

I do notice it's on Steam Greenlight as of right now, so this post could be nulled in the future.

I find nothing wrong with steam. Infact, I find Valve to be one of the better (if not best) companies out there where primary goal are to it's customers. Not to mention they created the l4d series and hopefully (pending they can count past 2) they bring us some news that l4d3 will be developed. yeah, I wait that day.

*roots for Valve* (y)
l4d was an ok game, l4d2 was a lot better, I look forward to l4d3. Hopefully it will happen.

Top Bottom