1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converter for vBulletin 5?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Chris4GL, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

Is there a converter planned or in development to allow converting from vBulletin 5 to XenForo?

I am one of the "old timers" ( http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member/333-chris-schreiber ) that was involved with vB since the beginning, but the vB Connect 5 has my users pissed off big time!
    Weppa333, surfsup, 14DH01 and 4 others like this.
  2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I haven't heard of anything in terms of a VB5 importer at the moment.
    Chris4GL likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Wow, there's a name I haven't seen for a while. *wave*

I think this is probably the first request. I haven't ever looked at it so I have no idea what would be involved. There are vB 4 importers available, so I'm not sure if that would potentially work (or restoring to a back up with it?).
    Weppa333 and Chris4GL like this.
  4. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

Hey Mike, how are you doing? Yeah I been very busy lately, have 3 little ones now keeping me very busy! I didn't even know about XenForo until my users were complaining about all of the vb 5 buggy ness that they have had to deal with, and here I am looking for an alternative.

I am probably the only vb 4 customer that actually has paid for and upgraded, most others (whom are smarter than I) are still on 3.x and 4.x versions.

Unfortunately the database design is pretty radically different, so I think my only options are to convert an old backup if I even still have one, wait for one, or try and figure out how to hack a solution myself.

I have to say, the forums here are impressive, especially for a 1.x release!
    14DH01 and DRE like this.
  5. Crayo

Crayo Active Member

I can't see many people requesting a vB5 importer due to most people not using it, but I feel so sorry for you on vB5 that this has to be made.
    Chris4GL likes this.
  6. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

7. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

8. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

9. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

Yes I was silly to upgrade so quickly. Maybe I can hack the vb 4 importer to work.
  10. BamaStangGuy

To each their own. I like the simplicity of it. Just hated it when vB code was behind it.
  11. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

Chris, can you use a pre-vb5 backup to migrate over?
    You'll lose some posts but its better than nothing.
    14DH01 and Chris4GL like this.
  12. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Doesn't vB offer a vB5 to vB4 converter?
    Edit: Apparently not.
    Fufu and Chris4GL like this.
  13. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Personally I'd say that you'd be better off just importing your pre-vB5 database. Who knows what changes vB5 did to your database, plus it'd be much less of a headache.
    Chris4GL likes this.
  14. BamaStangGuy

If IPB offers a vB 5 converter then go vB5 > IPB > xenForo. Check other forum software as well.
    Chris4GL likes this.
  15. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

phpBB will likely have a converter (soon). They're kind of fast when it comes to such things & usually have the most converters out there.

I'd keep an eye on them for one. They're free and open source.

vBulletin 5 < phpBB < XenForo
    Chris4GL likes this.
  16. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

I'm frankly not certain too many vB5 converters will pop up. Reasoning being the extremely poor reception of vB5, and thus limited interest for the product, meaning that converters would draw limited interest as well.

I'm deeply sorry to hear the OP actually bought vB5. If nobody comes out with a convertor, I have a SQL Server converter for some SQL-based forum software to XenForo that might be possible to change for vB5. If you do not mind that your users will probably have to reset their passwords, and if the amount of permissions you have is very limited (my solution did not take permissions into account), it might be possible to adjust the solution to get the important stuff (users/forums/threads/posts) across.

You'd loose data, but then again, you already did that when converting to vB5.
    euantor and Chris4GL like this.
  17. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

Yes, just checked and I do still have this (normally would have gotten rid of a backup like this long ago). It's from November, so I would have to check with my community to see what they think. I think they would probably want to move away from vb connect even if it means losing some posts.
  18. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

Nope, and I can see business reasons for them not wanting to offer this.
  19. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

vBulletin 6 is supposed to be way better. :p
    Mr Lucky, Adam Howard, Set3sh and 4 others like this.
  20. Chris4GL

Chris4GL Member

IPB has one in the works, but that is commercial software I'd have to purchase. Checked and no one else seems to have done this yet.