Converter for vBulletin 5?

If you understood how much work was involved in creating an importer from scratch...

Of course one could be developed, as long as all of the existing license holders don't mind valuable resources and time being diverted from developing the core software and add-ons, as well as XF2.

If you understood how much work was involved in creating an importer from scratch...

Of course one could be developed, as long as all of the existing license holders don't mind valuable resources and time being diverted from developing the core software and add-ons, as well as XF2.

The problem with that is that what you're saying is you don't mind if anyone on VB5 (which I'm positive there are still quite a few out there) skips Xenforo to go to IPB or another forum software that does have an importer.

That is likely a lot of lost revenue that Xenforo could also use to hire someone to make an importer. Or to add onto the team to help grow Xenforo. But if Xenforo isn't interested in any of that, I guess there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Has the VB4 importer been looked at within Xenforo to see if that could be modified to also do VB5 rather than a complete re-write? And is it possible that if 1 converter for one of the largest forum software creators still out there can't be done, that resources are stretched a bit too thin?

I could understand if it was a smaller forum software that Xenforo didn't want to waste their time on. But VBulletin? Makes no sense to me.

Guess those with VBulletin 5 will just have to find another forum software that does have an importer and spend their money with them instead.

As I understand it, take up of VB5 is extremely low.

Importers are developed based on perceived need...I can't even find a suggestion thread for a VB5 importer.

I could understand if it was a smaller forum software that Xenforo didn't want to waste their time on. But VBulletin? Makes no sense to me.
I can, especially if the number of people adopting vB 5 is as low as it appears (the adoption rate is apparently VERY low). Let's say they spend 400 man hours of time in writing a conversion routine and testing it (I don't really know how many hours it would take) and they gain 100 customers that convert over. I know what I charge per hour of my time for work, so that would be $40,000.00 to code the conversion, and for that I get $14,000.00 back. Oh, look, I just lost $26,000 in profit.
Like it or not, vBulletin 5 is non-starter. So few adopted it that it really isn't worth the effort IMHO to write a converter for it.

Now, if you had a large staff of coders that were sitting around not doing much of anything, then that would be something entirely different... but currently there is work going on with the next version of XenForo - and honestly, I'd rather see that going than time wasted on a conversion for a small number of people.

Guess those with VBulletin 5 will just have to find another forum software that does have an importer and spend their money with them instead.
Or hire someone to write it, since it's apparently so easy and quick to do. Then you could sell it and make LOTS of money. ;)

We have a vb5 forum running (define running) and are in the early stages of converting to XF... just a few more steps to take at board level (organization) to get it done. I have been working with the folks at ToDo10 and they are very confident they can get the job done for us! I am excited to get things working like they should be again! Hopefully within a week to 10 days.

Very few, according to digital points' cookie tracker - Cookie Search Engine
Considering the state of vbulletin 5, its easy to get fooled by the numbers. Its obvious that those who do convert to vb5, quickly realize their mistake and either go back to vb4 or migrate somewhere else. This keeps the number of vb5 websites low, while the number of upgraders is much higher. I have no clue how much higher but its obvious from the number of requests for help on admin sites.

I am glad that there are 3rd party services for vb5 to XF migration. At the same time I think it would be worth considering a vb5 importer. Even if its a paid 3rd party addon in the RM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom