1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Convert from VB5 to XF

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by bsdinsight, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

I have a small forum (smal topics and members) in VB 5 (http://forum.bsdinsight.com) and I would like to use XF - Can I convert from VB5 to XF?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

AFAIK there is not a direct VB5 to xenForo importer. If you have the data in a VB4 database then you can. @Jake Bunce may be able to help you out, but it will probably consist of a custom conversion.
  3. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

I do not have db in 4.0 - just have on VB5 only. Can AFAIK convert in VB 5 Version.

Because my forum is small forum, so I can re-post topic that cannot convert
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

AFAIK (As Far as I Know)... an acronym. As I said, it would probably entail a custom conversion (or 2 step - like from VB5 to IPB to xenForo, if IPB has a converter available).
  5. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

It means you do not have tool to convert, and need a "custom conversion" - I am not technician and programer - do you have any helps in my case?
  6. mistypants

mistypants Well-Known Member

There's an IPB converter available, so you can go vBulletin 5 > IPB > Xenforo. If you don't own a copy of IPB, there are many members here who offer import services. You could try asking them if they do vB5 conversions.
    Adam Howard and borbole like this.
  7. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Indeed, as mentioned above you can do a round about conversion. First to Ipb then to xenforo.

Couldn''t help but lol at this. It was so funny :D
  8. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

First, I use IPS to conver from VB5 to IPS forum

Next - how to conver from IPS to Xenforo? Please help me in this step.
  9. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

There is a built in Ipb converter in xenforo. Go to your Acp->Tools->Import External Data. And where it says: Select system to import from: choose Ipb Board (correct version) from the drop down list.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  10. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

Thanks you - but I got error as

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Which version of IPB are you attempting to import from?
  12. bsdinsight

bsdinsight Active Member

I am using IPB 3.4.5 version
  13. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You really should be using the IPB 3.4 importer then. Your line numbers also don't line up, so you need to be importing into 1.2.3 as well.
    Adam Howard likes this.
  14. Alteran Ancient

Alteran Ancient Well-Known Member

If you can't get your head around this, then try hailing @Jake Bunce - he's our resident Import guru. As Mike stated, make sure you're using the correct IPB importer version along with the latest version of XenForo.
  15. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member