Conversation with over 10,000 users

tenants

Okay, so I was about to do this, but I think I'm probably going to run into issues

I want to start a conversation with one of my groups. This group has over 10,000 users...

The conversation will contain a step-by-step "click" guide (once complete, they get another conversation for the next step)

This site is an existing site that I've recently converted to XF. I need to contact them via conversation and let them know about the updates and I need to converse with them as a group.

• Is it possible, or is there a hard participants user limit with conversations?
  • Will all 10,000 users be listed down the side of the conversation (this would take a while to load)
  • Am I going to run in to other issue with this many users in one conversation?
  • Will the emails that get sent out (related to conversations) all get sent out at once (if so, I might run into spam detection issues)?
Would I be better off doing this as a private thread, and somehow assigning "watched" to all users of that group?

Okay, so I was about to do this, but I think I'm probably going to run into issues

I want to start a conversation with one of my groups. This group have over 10,000 users...

The conversation will contain a step-by-step "click" guide (once complete, they get another conversation for the next step)

This site is an existing site that I've recently converted to XF. I need to contact them via conversation and let them know about the updates and I need to converse with them as a group.

• Is it possible?
  • Am I going to run into issue with this many users in one conversation?
  • Will the emails that get sent out related to conversation all get sent out at once (if so, I might run into spam detection issues)?
Would I be better off doing this as a private thread, and somehow assigning "watched" to all user of that group?
If you go the thread route, you could install the tag me addon and just tag the usergroup. They'll all get an alert and/or email to the thread.

I want to start a conversation with one of my groups. This group has over 10,000 users...

• Is it possible, or is there a hard participants limit user with conversations?
  • Will all 10,000 users be listed down the side of the conversation (this would take a while to load)
  • Am I going to run in to other issue with this many users in one conversation?
  • Will the emails that get sent out related to conversation all get sent out at once (if so, I might run into spam detection issues)?
Would I be better off doing this as a private thread, and somehow assigning "watched" to all user of that group?

Take a look at Robbo's "profile completion steps" it sounds very similar in functionality.

Take a look at Robbo's "profile completion steps" it sounds very similar in functionality.

That is fairly similar to what I'll be doing, but the steps are very custom... I've customised a fair chunck of the site, using XenForo as a frame work. But very little of the things that need to be complete are core

This does look good
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/profile-completion-steps-paid.33653/

But, the completion steps are within a notice ... and I think I would rather write this the way I "dream" it to work ;)

The completion steps will also be used as part of a search algorithm for a profile centric forum, so there is very much an incentive for the user to complete them (otherwise, they will be ranked low in the internal profile search)...

Still, I've yet to test what happens when you start a conversation with that many users.

If you go the thread route, you could install the tag me addon and just tag the usergroup. They'll all get an alert and/or email to the thread.
Well, it already uses it's own custom tag system (part of the profile centric plugin I've made). But the forum it's self will not use tagging (I don't see a need for it). Assigning all of the users to a thread could be done programmatically / sql... but I would still have an issue if the emails are sent out as bulk

Well, it already uses it's own custom tag system (part of the profile centric plugin I've made). But the forum it's self will not use tagging (I don't see a need for it). Assigning all of the users to a thread could be done programmatically / sql... but I would still have an issue if the emails are sent out as bulk
I think you can control tagging per forum and you can choose to shut off emails (only use alerts). But, if it won't work for you, it won't work for you.

Definitely choose the thread route over the conversation route.

How you alert them to the thread is entirely up to you:
Send out a custom alert
Force users to read the thread
Force 'Watch Thread'

No, ... I mean this:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/notices.18390/

AdminCP
- Home Tab
- List Notices
- Create Notice
- User Criteria = custom usergroup for this project

Notices do not send out an email, and the user needs visit the site to view it, they are also not great at provoking debates (in comparison to threads / conversations, most users ignore them)

Force 'Watch Thread' + custom SQL to get that group to watch the threads seems to be the logical direction

Forcing watch thread will only work for replies I think? I'm not sure how the alert function works, so I'm unsure whether you could alert for the first post.

Top Bottom