1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conversation with over 10,000 users

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by tenants, May 1, 2013.

1. tenants

tenants Well-Known Member

Okay, so I was about to do this, but I think I'm probably going to run into issues

I want to start a conversation with one of my groups. This group has over 10,000 users...

The conversation will contain a step-by-step "click" guide (once complete, they get another conversation for the next step)

This site is an existing site that I've recently converted to XF. I need to contact them via conversation and let them know about the updates and I need to converse with them as a group.

• Is it possible, or is there a hard participants user limit with conversations?
    • Will all 10,000 users be listed down the side of the conversation (this would take a while to load)
    • Am I going to run in to other issue with this many users in one conversation?
    • Will the emails that get sent out (related to conversations) all get sent out at once (if so, I might run into spam detection issues)?
    Would I be better off doing this as a private thread, and somehow assigning "watched" to all users of that group?

2. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

If you go the thread route, you could install the tag me addon and just tag the usergroup. They'll all get an alert and/or email to the thread.

3. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

which Addon are you talking about ?

This one ?
    http://xenforo.com/community/resources/tinhte-xentag.770/

thanks!

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Take a look at Robbo's "profile completion steps" it sounds very similar in functionality.

Brandon Sheley and tenants like this.
  5. jmurrayhead

6. tenants

That is fairly similar to what I'll be doing, but the steps are very custom... I've customised a fair chunck of the site, using XenForo as a frame work. But very little of the things that need to be complete are core

This does look good
    http://xenforo.com/community/threads/profile-completion-steps-paid.33653/

But, the completion steps are within a notice ... and I think I would rather write this the way I "dream" it to work ;)

The completion steps will also be used as part of a search algorithm for a profile centric forum, so there is very much an incentive for the user to complete them (otherwise, they will be ranked low in the internal profile search)...

Still, I've yet to test what happens when you start a conversation with that many users.

Well, it already uses it's own custom tag system (part of the profile centric plugin I've made). But the forum it's self will not use tagging (I don't see a need for it). Assigning all of the users to a thread could be done programmatically / sql... but I would still have an issue if the emails are sent out as bulk

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine it would work that well.
    For a start there's no pagination on the participant list in the sidebar so it's going to be an extremely long page.

0xym0r0n and surfsup like this.
  8. tenants

That's what I thought, a list of users down the side at that length is not going to work

9. jmurrayhead

I think you can control tagging per forum and you can choose to shut off emails (only use alerts). But, if it won't work for you, it won't work for you.

10. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

What about a private forum and when you post a thread --- set an XF notification for that usergroup to alert them?

tenants likes this.
  11. tenants

What do you mean by "XF notification", wouldn't this be the same as assigning the user group to watch the thread (which isn't possible with core functionality, but I can probably do it with some custom sql)

12. James

James Well-Known Member

Definitely choose the thread route over the conversation route.

How you alert them to the thread is entirely up to you:
    Send out a custom alert
    Force users to read the thread
    Force 'Watch Thread'

tenants likes this.
  13. Reeve of Shinra

Reeve of Shinra Well-Known Member

14. tenants

Notices do not send out an email, and the user needs visit the site to view it, they are also not great at provoking debates (in comparison to threads / conversations, most users ignore them)

Force 'Watch Thread' + custom SQL to get that group to watch the threads seems to be the logical direction

15. James

James Well-Known Member

Forcing watch thread will only work for replies I think? I'm not sure how the alert function works, so I'm unsure whether you could alert for the first post.