• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Conversation Manager

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
syndol i am going to ask this because i, and perhaps others, might need a bit of reassurance...
is this hack going to get pulled in the future? converted into a paid add-on?
it would be great if brogan&co would let the question be answered at least once hey. deleting these kinds of questions makes me very hesitant to install new addons full stop.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I have never deleted a question of that nature.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I have never deleted a question of that nature.

Brogan I think when a leading coder suddenly needed to retire recently, and their add-ons were also retired (no longer available to download) it caused worry.
The action by the coder is entirely their right.
But it does cause worry.

I think the best reassurance is that in using forums e107, VB and XF over about 10 years I have rarely seen add-ons completely disappear. They can stop being supported, or stop developing/ upgrading. But normally they do stay around. Often if the coder stops being interested in them another coder will get their permission to continue it.
The recent event here was rare, and clearly unavoidable for the coder concerned.

There are no guarantees in life. As this is a free add-on, I reserve the right to stop supporting it at any given moment.
Any paid add-on I will support as long as I am able to physically, mentally, and emotionally, taking into account any time constraints I may have.
What kind of support are you expecting? This add-on does what it says on the tin., Nothing more, nothing less. I will fix any bugs that pop-up but that's about it. I have already spent way more time than I originally planned on this in order to accommodate some requests/ideas/improvements. I am not gifted., It takes me time to do this. I will continue to do so only as long as I'm enjoying myself. It is my free time I am sharing with you after all.

In regards to your reference that I now charge for the Bookmarks add-on, it simply reflects the time spent on making it and supporting it. I am definitely not going to get rich off of it and it certainly does not reflect/cover the amount of hours that were put into it. The charge merely ensures that I work on it even when I do not feel like it. The original Post-it add-on is still free and you are welcome to continue using it for as long as you want.

As I said Syndol part of the price of being good at what you do is it stimulates the appetite for more - and your admirers will worry that your treasures might not be there any more.
I know what this is like in other areas where I am clever and successful (NOT code!)

I will be buying your Bookmarks very soon this month and happy to do it. Just busy with some other basics first.
Thank you always for your work. I especially liked your statement where you said -

It takes me time to do this. I will continue to do so only as long as I'm enjoying myself. It is my free time I am sharing with you after all.
and
Any paid add-on I will support as long as I am able to physically, mentally, and emotionally, taking into account any time constraints I may have.

A wise and balanced description of the range of commitment. This could be an add-on Manifesto for Coders.

i guess what i am asking is what is the liklihood that the mod will actually be deleted from this board. post-it and thread-ban didnt merely come to a point of non-support. the threads werent locked, they were deleted, leaving people with two addons running on their boards that were not only unsupported, but were erased from the add-on community altogether.
so my situation is that i have addons by yourself and by floris that are not only unsupported, but dont even have a thread here that we can use to address problems that may crop up in future updates to xf. what are we to do then? we can start a new thread for each of these addons, include the old code and ask people with the necessary skill to help fix them? that is problematic for obvious reasons, and it is why i brought this issue up months ago. imo the current mentality that allows for these thread closures/deletions leaving addon users high and dry and puts 'coders rights' above all else is something that is going to bite us all on the ass sooner or later.

Dieketzer I think this is an important issue and you are not alone with this worry.
It's normal that using add-ons carries this risk. But it's also normal for "disappearance" to be rare. Recent events here have made this risk look worse than usual, though these events had good reasons behind them.

So you are right and entitled to raise this issue.
But it is not appropriate to hang it on Syndol's thread here about one add-on. It applies much more widely.
I respectfully suggest that you post your concern as its own thread,

or ask for the series of posts on this page numbers 60 onwards to become a new thread.

it wasnt my intent to derail. i brought it up in this thread because i like the look of this addon, but needed to ask this question of syndol in particular due to my experience with afaik his only other addons, post-it and thread-ban.
if it is decided that this should be split into a new discussion i wont raise a fuss, but i do believe this is a discussion that should be allowed to run its course some place rather than silently deleted soviet-style.
so i wont post about this topic again in this addon thread.

Oh dieketzer I am sorry. I did not realise that your worry was properly connected to Syndol and his other add-ons.
Maybe I have made it worse. Apologies to both of you.

Mostly this free gift community works excellently. But the freedom of the coder must I think come first. as Syndol says it is his free time he gives.
This is why some admins refuse to use add-ons or very few.
It is a risk we take. That's the reality. But it usually mostly goes OK. Not a high risk.

Today I have decided to quit my day job in order to support this add-on full time.
I shall continue to do so until I starve to death (in approximately 2 to 3 weeks).
Thereafter, I request that this thread remain open so that dieketzer may have a place to vent his frustrations.

Syndol I shall send you home cooked food parcels to keep you going.
Our Welsh cawl is particularly nourishing for hardworking men - it kept our miners going!

Need to know if vegetarian or carnivore variety though?
Also white or wholemeal bread for the traditional partner?

non sequitor. but have at it any way. i wont pursue this discussion further because i dont want to further derail the thread, and its obvious you wont address the actual concern anyway.

Version 1.0.1
  • Ability to toggle between viewing the participants as Usernames (text based) or Avatars (image based). This is done by clicking the word 'Participants' underneath the conversation start date.
  • Ability to view all participants in an overlay by clicking the word 'Participants' in the 'Reply' column.
  • Option to display the last poster's avatar in the 'Last Post' column. (set via ACP)
Participants_Avatars.webp

To upgrade, follow the installation instructions.
I have updated the first post with this new version.
Enjoy.

Absolutely - whatever route will get iut here.
I do far more private conversation here than on my board. It's here that I need it though I will much appreciate it on both my boards too.

There's been one off topic discussion on the thread already, so let's put this one away please to avoid the thread being derailed completely.

If it ever comes to the point where Mike or Kier consider the functionality in an add-on to be required, they will simply add it to the core, rather then installing an add-on.

Version 1.0.1
  • Ability to toggle between viewing the participants as Usernames (text based) or Avatars (image based). This is done by clicking the word 'Participants' underneath the conversation start date.
  • Ability to view all participants in an overlay by clicking the word 'Participants' in the 'Reply' column. (set via ACP)
  • Option to display the last poster's avatar in the 'Last Post' column. (set via ACP)
View attachment 23124

To upgrade, follow the installation instructions.
I have updated the first post with this new version.
Enjoy.

looks great!

what happens when clicking onto the avatar-image?
does it open the "member set-card"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom