• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Conversation Manager

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep in mind that the majority of users won't have avatar so you will see a row of default avatars which defeat the purpose of visual identification.
I agree! Just trying different ideas here.

Make the users with avatars appear first, then any without avatars appear as usernames afterwards.
I think this looks fine just in terms of look.

I also suggest changing "Participants" at start of the line to "PLUS" or "AND" or "WITH" - all much shorter; and still clear and friendly.

I also suggest changing "Participants" at start of the line to "PLUS" or "AND" or "WITH" - all much shorter; and still clear and friendly.
In the case of the images, they have to start where they are because the date stamp can reach that far in some cases. In which case the wording before that is irrelevant.
Mixing avatars and usernames will not look that great in my opinion.
What's wrong with the way it is now - just text? ;)

It's not wrong Syndol. Perfectly functional.

Just I think as people want to see the participants strongly and clearly avatars would do that.Also avatars are just so colourful, fun - and they INSTANTLY display the identity in a direct way that text cannot match.
We have avatars and text ID in the who's online - that's where I got the idea. But you are right - some will like the look some will not. So as the developer I think you either choose yourself, or create options.

Another one would be to make text IDs bigger, same size or almost same as the conversation originator. I would do this with a template edit when I install this as peering at very small text is no fun. :( But some people prefer a lot of text to be almost invisible. Sigh. Options.

As long as it's left as optional to use avatars (I won't be using them myself), I'll be happy. =)

the question is not whether the user has uploaded an avatar or not., it is the job of the forum-admin to make the user to upload their avatars.

But for the sake of this mod and the overall integration of this mod, I think avatars need to be included into this mod. It is more intuitive and easier to understand for the average user if avatars are showing up.

If you have 30 participants in a single Conversation, the solution is very simple:
show the avatars of 5 participants (random sort order), then put a link named "and 25 more participants" aside). Then when clicking onto the link "and 25 more participants", it opens-up an overlay which shows ALL 30 participants in this conversation.

Besides, all of this should be in core anyway.

Yeah, I have a conversation going on that has 29 people in it. Avatars would be...problematic.
I think that conversations with that many people ... you would remember the conversation and wouldn't be looking at the avatars to remember what the conversation was about.
The main benefit of the avatars is to find a message you are looking for ... and you would be scanning the conversation titles and the avatar might help you as well.

The only solution that I can come up with to try please everyone, is to have the word 'Participants' used as a toggle to switch between usernames only and avatars only.
Of course you still have the issue of those with default avatars.

Picture 4.webp

Small suggestion.
Could be helpful to see quickly who posted last.
last.post.avatar.conversations.webp
Some conversations take place over weeks.
I sometimes forget if I was waiting for someone ... or they were waiting for me to reply.
It would be helpful for me to see that I was the last person to reply in the conversation.

Idea 2: <removed> ... will post elsewhere <was offtopic>.

Small suggestion.
View attachment 23071
I sometimes forget if I was waiting for someone ... or they were waiting for me to reply.
It would be helpful for me to see that I was the last person to reply in the conversation.

Idea 2: Conversation Prefixes [Help] [Closed] [Fix Needed]
- this could help Conversations be a Mini-Support area.
- sorry. I know this is beyond the scope of this mod.

Digital Doctor: referring to your screenshot:
yeah, this is what I was meaning initially, but why not just have the Avatar only?
- when hoovering over the Avatar, it shows the Username (as in my "Brogan-image" :p:D attached above).
- when clicking the Avatar, it opens the member-set-card in the overlay.

also:
in the column named "Replies", there is the word "Participants" - what about having this word being "linked" and when clicking on it will open an overlay showing all participants ? Not sure if this is build-in already (as I did not test this add-on yet) ?

Syndol: I hope you don`t mind..... just brainstorming here.........

Small suggestion.
View attachment 23071

Idea 2: Conversation Prefixes [Help] [Closed] [Fix Needed]
- this could help Conversations be a Mini-Support area.
- sorry. I know this is beyond the scope of this mod.

Dig I like all that very much indeed.
I agree whether Syndol has interest in doing so much elegance for us is a mystery only he can answer. He has done so much already.

But for whenever your suggestions DO come to life I'd like to add a little to no. 2.

Conversation Prefixes [URGENT!] [Fix] [Personal] [Closed]
An option to edit these ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom