Conversation keyword watcher - flag when certain keywords are posted in conversations

Stuart Wright

This is actually an important requirement for us in regard to our classified forums.
We regularly have banned traders re-register and trade again. This is against our rules, of course, but we need to do more to catch and stop them. Sometimes it is fraudsters attempting to defraud people and for these people it is actually urgent and important that we have this functionality.
Our idea to stop them is to have a selection of keywords which, if posted in conversations trigger an alert.
This would work because the people use the same mobile numbers, post codes and/or bank account numbers when exchanging trading details.
I would like to see a way for admin to enter keyword(s), each with a reason so we know why the keyword is being included.
When any entered keyword is posted in a conversation, an alert of some kind is created. Either an alert in a specific (admin) member's inbox or a new thread in a specific forum. We'd go for the new thread.
The information needs to contain the conversation text and the sender and recipient details with links to their profiles with the matching keyword(s) highlighted and the reason(s) for the keywords being in the system.

We can then go to the senders' profile and take action.
With regards to privacy, we state in our T&Cs that we reserve the right to read conversations in certain circumstances.
Thanks

Upvote 8
Dang, I like this idea, I'm just not sure if it makes more sense for me to implement in Moderator Essentials, Conversation Essentials, or to make a new add on entirely.

When any entered keyword is posted in a conversation, an alert of some kind is created. Either an alert in a specific (admin) member's inbox or a new thread in a specific forum. We'd go for the new thread.

I would either do the thread or have it go into the moderation queue system. I can understand why you wouldn't want all your staff to see a private message though (sort of). A thread allows you to have more control over who can see it.

Dang, I like this idea, I'm just not sure if it makes more sense for me to implement in Moderator Essentials, Conversation Essentials, or to make a new add on entirely.

I'd lean towards conversation essentials (since it is conversation related)... not to mention I already own that add-on. ;)

I think the system would also need to have a link to the "source" user* as part of its data so we could easily refer back to why the entry is there in the first place and/or (where applicable) NOT report on messages posted by the source user*.

* meaning: the original account that used the term now being watched/reported

I think the system would also need to have a link to the "source" user* as part of its data so we could easily refer back to why the entry is there in the first place and/or (where applicable) NOT report on messages posted by the source user*.

* meaning: the original account that used the term now being watched/reported
So you're suggesting not to include the conversation text, just a link to the user's profile? I suggested both since you're going to want to see the conversation, the matching keyword(s) and why those keywords are in the 'watch' list and link through to the user's profile to then take action.

@Daniel Hood it's a moderation essential, and a conversation essential IMO and would add value to either. Thanks for considering adding it. I hope you do.

@Daniel Hood it's a moderation essential, and a conversation essential IMO and would add value to either. Thanks for considering adding it. I hope you do.
I'm considering adding it to Conversation Essentials (it won't be in the next release since I already have that ready to go and don't want to delay it too much). The reason for that over Moderator Essentials is because you may not want moderators to be able to view conversatoin contents. I won't hijack this thread any farther though.

I'm considering adding it to Conversation Essentials (it won't be in the next release since I already have that ready to go and don't want to delay it too much). The reason for that over Moderator Essentials is because you may not want moderators to be able to view conversatoin contents. I won't hijack this thread any farther though.
Good point, it's admin, not moderators who would use this tool on our site. Thanks

So you're suggesting not to include the conversation text, just a link to the user's profile? I suggested both since you're going to want to see the conversation, the matching keyword(s) and why those keywords are in the 'watch' list and link through to the user's profile to then take action.

In terms of detecting scammers and/or re-registrations, the system is going to have to know the original source account - the first member to register and/or be Trading-Banned or whatever. Most likely this account will be subject to a restriction. But it may not.

The data used by the add-on; the details we input - will need to include who the source user for every keyword is, so that, when a message is detected that contains the keyword
-- (a) it does NOT report if the message is made by the source user (since by definition that's not a re-reg) (if that's how we want it to behave - a setting may be required here)
-- (b) when it does report a second user's message, we have a point of reference for eg UserNotes, Warning History for the source user.

The system's output (eg a post in a private forum) might include either the new message text or a working link to it (either will do equally well) - but it should also include a link to the source user.

Academic, I think. If the system produces its output in either a private forum post, or a Conversation Message to a given user, then who can see the output is fully determined by the permissions for the forum in which the system posts its output, or (if a Conversation) who receives the system output message. And everyone else will be blissfully unaware......

Last edited:
A few more thoughts on this topic.

We'd need to allow the same keyword to exist against more than one original source user account - to cover cases where there have already been multiple registrations using the same data - and to include them all in the output report so they can be x-referred.

The keyword matching will need to take account of variations in syntax eg by ignoring punctuation and spaces. For example, a postcode might be written as WC1A 2XY or as WC1A2XY. A bank sortcode might be 01-23-45 or 012345. etc.. Either should be seen as a match.

When a conversation message is detected containing a keyword, originated by a different user, it should be Moderated i.e. not sent to its recipient unless/until it has been overseen and approved. (This may need to be an option; the best place for it is NOT at app level, but at database item level - i.e. for THIS keyword, moderate new conversations yes/no).

Output report will contain links to the Source users profiles, and to the new conversation so it can be viewed and actioned.

I know this post is kind of old, but did you ever add this?

I've actually released another add on. It's called conversation monitor (pardon me for not linking but I'm on my phone with 1% battery).

Top Bottom