1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contact Form Should Have Reply To Address

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Big Dan, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Big Dan

Big Dan Active Member

When a message comes through my board's contact form I automatically reply like it's any old email. You cannot do that because you're replying to your own email address and basically talking to yourself. :eek:

Worse yet if you use Gmail you don't even realize what you did because Gmail won't show a message from yourself to yourself as new.

I suggest that the reply to field in the email header be set to the address collected by the contact form.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Replying to the email should use the sender's address, not the board address.

It does on my site (and others).
    Big Dan likes this.
  3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Enable the "Sender info in From header on contact emails" option. You're running into a Gmail-specific problem (with how it approaches the From vs Reply-To header.
    Brandon Sheley and Big Dan like this.
  4. Big Dan

Big Dan Active Member

Thanks Mike. Awesome I didn't even know XenForo had this feature.
  5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Really? It always has for me :/

6. Big Dan

Big Dan Active Member

I don't know if only happens with addon addresses - for instance support@mydomain.com goes to Gmail. If I email myself it only shows in my sent items.

I use the Outlook app on my phone to email myself reminders all the time because Gmail has that funky 'feature'.

It appears to only happen with aliases https://support.google.com/a/answer/1703601?hl=en
    Liam W likes this.