Constructive Criticism for my forum design

How would you rate your experience?

• Total voters
I saw the first and the current logo. Both are way too large. People will come for the content, not to view the logo taking up half the page.

Define a better height/width here: Style properties Basic options (and ideally save the image as the correct dimensions).

I saw the first and the current logo. Both are way too large. People will come for the content, not to view the logo taking up half the page.

Define a better height/width here: Style properties Basic options (and ideally save the image as the correct dimensions).
What did you view it on? It's not big on mine

Unless this is what you mean by big? I can't really see it being an issue but I will take it into consideration. I appreciate your feedback.

[edit] I changed it so it should be smaller.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 3.17.58 PM.webp
    Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 3.17.58 PM.webp
    62.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6440.webp
    IMG_6440.webp
    59.3 KB · Views: 26
I attached an image of how it was showing for me (I'm on a smaller device at the moment)

I still think the header area is taking up way too empty space. It's just a lot of space to scroll past to read the content.

Attachments

• 1678301530295.webp
    1678301530295.webp
    51.4 KB · Views: 25
I attached an image of how it was showing for me (I'm on a smaller device at the moment)

I still think the header area is taking up way too empty space. It's just a lot of space to scroll past to read the content.
Oh what the hell that's so strange. That's an old logo. Yeah that is huge lol. No good. I you refresh it should be reverted back to normal now. Thanks for the heads up though

Would you mind having another look and tell me what you think so far? The logo hasn't changed yet. I will update that soon, if at all. I kinda like it but haven't got feedback from users or anything so time will tell
In my opinion, there are too less now. Ideally you want to start out with 3 categories with each 3-4 forums.

In my opinion, there are too less now. Ideally you want to start out with 3 categories with each 3-4 forums.
That's what Im going to spend the next few hours doing. I just wanted to strip it down and start from scratch so I can build as I go. Originally I just made every forum and category and didn't do anything with permissions, etc. So now I am going to do it as I go!

My opinion is that you should stop installing new add-ons and focus on setting up and structuring the essence of forums: user groups, categories, forums, sub-forums, creating prefixes ( it's not nothing), managing permissions (it's not nothing either)... A Chat, a portal, yes, but start at the beginning. When all this is in place you can think about the logo, add-ons, customization...

My opinion is that you should stop installing new add-ons and focus on setting up and structuring the essence of forums: user groups, categories, forums, sub-forums, creating prefixes ( it's not nothing), managing permissions (it's not nothing either)... A Chat, a portal, yes, but start at the beginning. When all this is in place you can think about the logo, add-ons, customization...
I did all of that already and now I’m back to square one. I had 130 nodes in my forum lost along with custom pages but I was getting too far ahead of myself. The addons I have are essential to my forum. For instance, the porta pro addon allows me to promote and stick threads to my home page which is what I tried accomplishing before without it but it didn’t look as nice. That chat I had was basic but now it allows for rooms and such. I have the porta calendar add on so I can create local events and map then to it. I also have the anonymous add on which is majority essential to my forum.

For example, there’s a local group with 5000+ active members called “Newfoundland anonymous confessions” where people post anonymously about all sorts of things. We are a small community and everyone knows everyone so they really love the feature. Facebook is always taking down posts or giving warning so this site is another way out for them. I also don’t sell personal data.

Local businesses have the ability to have a voice and promote their business to the home page.

Same with crafting as there’s a big community for it here.

My site aims to combine all of these for our own little hub. The admins of the Facebook groups are migrating over to my site and moderating their section of the forum.

Once I get the essentials ready to drive users in, I will then add more features and forums like I had originally planned. Now I can add maps and events for planning local trips, etc.

I know it doesn’t seem like much right now but like I said, I stripped it back to barebones so I can rebuild it properly. Once I get a few thousand members it will be easier to know what they want and how to configure the site for them.

I haven’t slept since yesterday since I’ve been working on this all yesterday and last night so I apologize if this is a little incoherent or rambling.

But yeah that’s a quick rundown on why I’m focusing on addons and such.

What is Logo masking?

The issue is that the logo does not work when it is much smaller dimensions, the text becomes way too small to read.Screenshot 2023-03-09 at 10.54.28.webp

What is Logo masking?

The issue is that the logo does not work when it is much smaller dimensions, the text becomes way too small to read.View attachment 282679
I’m not sure if this would be the cause but I’m think it scales to logo according to the device you’re using. It’s small on mine too. I’ll try and turn it off to see if that makes any difference.

Edit: no difference on my end so I’ll have to fiddle with it throughout today and see what I can come up with

Attachments

• 9DDA53BE-068E-4305-A0D2-F87E718374EA.webp
    9DDA53BE-068E-4305-A0D2-F87E718374EA.webp
    25 KB · Views: 17
I’m not sure if this would be the cause but I’m think it scales to logo according to the device you’re using.
But more or less everything has to be scaled reposonsively. In my screenshot above there is no room for a larger logo. And there is so much margin around the text is is tiny

But more or less everything has to be scaled reposonsively. In my screenshot above there is no room for a larger logo. And there is so much margin around the text is is tiny
That may be the style I’m using. The ipbb style has given be a couple issues. I’m not sure how to fix that issue if I’m being honest. I agree that things are too small though

Attachments

• D9B84C49-6419-4161-8243-5AADD478E47D.webp
    D9B84C49-6419-4161-8243-5AADD478E47D.webp
    60 KB · Views: 9
  • 2D45361F-CCF2-446F-A0B3-FF7E0A49EC37.webp
    2D45361F-CCF2-446F-A0B3-FF7E0A49EC37.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 10
The logo management really sucks on XenForo, it looks like it was only designed for the original XenForo logo or so like all our forums are going to have a simple 6 or 7 letter logo... :rolleyes:

BTW regarding the attachment, Icons are maskable setting only concerns the PWA buttons on the devices, not the logo.

The logo management really sucks on XenForo, it looks like it was only designed for the original XenForo logo or so like all our forums are going to have a simple 6 or 7 letter logo... :rolleyes:

BTW regarding the attachment, Icons are maskable setting only concerns the PWA buttons on the devices, not the logo.
Thanks for the tip! I was unsure but yeah the mobile logo is really small. Maybe it would be better to use the board name initials in text like mentioned. Instead of the logo it could say “B.B.” or something

Top Bottom