Implemented Combine "Mark Read": all Forums, this Forum

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I understood it this way:

Remove link from forum_view

Instead of "Mark All Forums Read" make "Mark Read"
which opens a content related popup with:

• Mark all Forums read (shown always)
  • Mark this Forum read (if you#re in a forum or thread)
  • etc.. (Mark this Album as read, if you're in the gallery, mark all links as read if you're in the linklist,....)

I think it's a good idea

When you click on "Mark ALL Forums Read" a popup displays "Mark All Forums Read - Really?"
When you click on "Mark this Forum Read" a popup displays "Mark this Forum Read - Really?"

My idea is to remove the more special mark read link (mark forum read, mark node read) and rephrase the general link to "Mark Read" and the popup displays two choices which replace the redundant you-really-want-to-do-this-question into "Mark All Forums Read | Mark current forum (title here) Read"

Two advantages
  • reduces clutter
  • reduces one ACP option (user has to agree once he clicked on the link). With the popup the user is not just accidently hitting the mark-read option

I've been thinking about this and i've talked to some great UI designers...

And we got all the same minds (OK probably 90% of the users here will disagree, because they have only categories and forums) but:

1. "Forums" in navbar is also a strange name for this...
You're getting a node tree with several content types and not only forums.
e.g => If somebodies linking pages, gallery nodes, lexicon nodes,... in the tree(that's why i said it's not only forums)

2. Avarage joe sees gallerynodes, Pages, etc.. in the node tree but if they have also a "mark read" feature, "mark all forums read" won't work for them(so they'll ask why it's not working for albums, i'm seeing it in the forum tree).
They'll need to click on several links, to mark really everything read...

Well you probably would still need the confirmation pop up, since the new link would have a drop down menu showing at mouse hover and one could accidentally click the links.

About the suggestion itself I'm not sure, it seems it has both advantages and disadvantages. It reduces 'clutter' in one place, but on the other hand the 'Mark this forum read' link was placed there because like 'Search this forum' it deals with forum-specific functionality. While the top navigation bar deals with global functionality. If you're going to mix this up, it makes less navigational sense, unless you integrate all navigation for specific forums in the top navigation bar. But does that really make things more simple or easy to understand for new users?

Well you probably would still need the confirmation pop up, since the new link would have a drop down menu showing at mouse hover and one could accidentally click the links.
My suggestion is to have the link open the current popup with the addition of both mark read options.

Since we already get a overlay (yay!) it sounds logical to have it present the option for all/per forum.

Altho their positions seem a bit strange, I still prefer to keep them 2 separate links. They do totally different things, there's no need to add over lay and an extra click to do such simeple task.

Altho their positions seem a bit strange, I still prefer to keep them 2 separate links. They do totally different things, there's no need to add over lay and an extra click to do such simeple task.
There will be no extra click. This is how it works now:
1. Click on Mark this forum read
2. Confirm

This is my suggestion
1. Click on Mark read
2. Click within the popup on either "Mark Read All Forums" or "Mark Read This Forum"

I believe the correct way and the way they would probably do it is with radio buttons and a submit button below it Marcus, so that would add up to three clicks, IF my earlier argument is ignored.

I believe the correct way and the way they would probably do it is with radio buttons and a submit button below it Marcus, so that would add up to three clicks, IF my earlier argument is ignored.
This is also possible. I would much prefer a simple two-click solution. The less clicks the better.

But they do completely different jobs... I'm not sure I understand the suggestion.
This is somewhat counter intuitive now because it doesn't say "Mark this forum read" when in a specific forum and "Mark all forums read" when on the main index.

Top Bottom