Coffee or tea?

Coffee.

The real espresso style not the brewed crap they have all over usa.

I'm genuinely curious what you're talking about here? We have a few coffee shops in our little town and they both serve espresso style drinks. Is there a difference in what we're calling espresso drinks and what you call espresso drinks where you're from?

Coffee
Tired Good Morning GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

I'm genuinely curious what you're talking about here? We have a few coffee shops in our little town and they both serve espresso style drinks. Is there a difference in what we're calling espresso drinks and what you call espresso drinks where you're from?
I believe there is a difference. I'm in USA right (east coast)now and whilst there is a far bigger coffee culture than there used to be, it's still lacking. Yes espresso . The beans seem to be of decent quality from some of the places I've tried, but the baristas don't seem to really know what they are doing in most of the places I've tried. The 'flat white' they do here is not a real flat white.

Coffee is of a very high standard in Australia/NZ.

I believe there is a difference. I'm in USA right (east coast)now and whilst there is a far bigger coffee culture than there used to be, it's still lacking. Yes espresso . The beans seem to be of decent quality from some of the places I've tried, but the baristas don't seem to really know what they are doing in most of the places I've tried. The 'flat white' they do here is not a real flat white.

Coffee is of a very high standard in Australia/NZ.

Oh, I gotcha. I always drink some sort of flavored (sweetened) latte so I wouldn't know about that. I generally get an extra espresso shot, or two, though because I do like a little more stout taste.

I would agree, though, that the biggest issue around here are the baristas, at least around here. There's no kind of consistency in the drinks. I can tell it in the way I see my shots being poured. Of course they don't have the time to weigh out the coffee beans for every shot like I do at home, and they certainly don't have the expertise (or care, probably) to know when a shot wasn't pulled correctly.

There are a few local coffee shops in a town over from us that do it right. Every shot is weighed out, consistently packed, and if the barista notices something wrong with the pull, they'll toss it and do it again. They also roast, and sell, their own beans so they have a little more riding on the quality of their coffee. That's actually where I get the beans I use at home.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe what we were calling an espresso drink here was something completely different than what you were calling an espresso drink. I think we're talking about the same thing but y'all just take it more seriously. To me, as long as it's not too bitter and I can actually taste the espresso, I'm good with it. My standards are likely a lot lower than yours, though, because of what you're used to.

Oh, I gotcha. I always drink some sort of flavored (sweetened) latte so I wouldn't know about that. I generally get an extra espresso shot, or two, though because I do like a little more stout taste.

I would agree, though, that the biggest issue around here are the baristas, at least around here. There's no kind of consistency in the drinks. I can tell it in the way I see my shots being poured. Of course they don't have the time to weigh out the coffee beans for every shot like I do at home, and they certainly don't have the expertise (or care, probably) to know when a shot wasn't pulled correctly.

There are a few local coffee shops in a town over from us that do it right. Every shot is weighed out, consistently packed, and if the barista notices something wrong with the pull, they'll toss it and do it again. They also roast, and sell, their own beans so they have a little more riding on the quality of their coffee. That's actually where I get the beans I use at home.

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I was thinking maybe what we were calling an espresso drink here was something completely different than what you were calling an espresso drink. I think we're talking about the same thing but y'all just take it more seriously. To me, as long as it's not too bitter and I can actually taste the espresso, I'm good with it. My standards are likely a lot lower than yours, though, because of what you're used to.
Buy your own coffee machine and you would be able to learn a new skill.

Yeah, there's some people who can be quite snobbish about their preferences. My son was that way with coffee for a while . Still turns up his nose at Tim Horton's, though. I drink mostly fancy looseleaf tea but also still sometimes drink bagged orange pekoe like Tetley's and Red Rose. At least it is tea. :coffee::giggle:

Yeah, there's some people who can be quite snobbish about their preferences. My son was that way with coffee for a while . Still turns up his nose at Tim Horton's, though. I drink mostly fancy looseleaf tea but also still sometimes drink bagged orange pekoe like Tetley's and Red Rose. At least it is tea. :coffee::giggle:
It's not about being snobbish. It's a fun thread to fill our time while we wait on a few things to be released.

Top Bottom