CMS

MilesDB

I know XenFrono doesn't have immediate plans to start working on its CMS; but, my understanding it will be coming sooner or later.

I am requesting "“Promote to Article” functionality that is implemented in vBCMS. It lets admins promote individual posts or threads from forum to article entries in CMS.

As I wait for XenForo to mature and get populated with essential mods, I'll be using vBa CMPS/vB3.8 to display articles on my site. I wanna be able to move them to xenCMS once it's out.

Upvote 41
If I was a moderator, I'd lock this thread and open it when XF 1.0 is out :)

You know why? By the time that the CMS is released, a 100 other threads like this will be created :(
Really matey, first things first.

I like the name though, XenCMS.

Not bothered about a CMS. If/when they write one, and presumably charge for it as an add on, I'll buy it, but there's no rush.

My wish list is for a pre-sale (sorry) license scheme to be introduced, because I'd be among the first to cough up. Even if the product wasn't ready for beta.

I don't say I'm bothered by this thread. I'd be happy when it is released. I'll buy it too.
My point is just that this thread is a little bit too early made...

And I'm sure Mike & Kier will do the right thing with the sales and the code itself ;)

My point is just that this thread is a little bit too early made...
My intent was to give Kier and Mike an early start on what features to incorporate in XenCMS. I am pretty sure they will discuss it and come up with a list of features before starting CMS development.

My intent was to give Kier and Mike an early start on what features to incorporate in XenCMS. I am pretty sure they will discuss it and come up with a list of features before starting CMS development.

You don't think they'd ask us what we think before they start development?

You don't think they'd ask us what we think before they start development?

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question posed for its persuasive effect without the expectation of a reply (e.g.: "Why me?"). Rhetorical questions encourage the listener to think about what the (often obvious) answer to the question must be. When a speaker states, "How much longer must our people endure this injustice?", no formal answer is expected. Rather, it is a device used by the speaker to assert or deny something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

I don't see where this thread is in the wrong... he's not demanding a CMS right away, he's not asking for prices, but just giving SUGGESTIONS for a CMS in the appropriate section. :)

I don't see where this thread is in the wrong... he's not demanding a CMS right away, he's not asking for prices, but just giving SUGGESTIONS for a CMS in the appropriate section. :)

I think what Nick meant is that threads like this are a bit redundant. But, you're right, it is a suggestions forum.

I think things like a CMS and Blogs will be implemented as plugins afterwards, or perhaps they'll be made into some kind of suite package.

Nice suggestions, though I do feel that it'll be a while before a CMS gets made :P

Off-topic: I do like the names... XenCMS, XenBlogs

When they get to the development of a CMS, Blog, Gallery, etc... I would actually rather see a full push / pull data ability. The current detraction in abilities of existing players is the ability to move content freely between any area of the site. To me, that is what full integration means, not just push data from the forum to content or blogs, but from cms to blog, from blog to forum, etc. Full manoeuvrability of any content is my vote. This includes posted comments / replies, all able to be shifted as one. I would even extend this to images or video posted content in any area with a gallery, so it can be pushed or pulled anywhere, which in essence reduces multiple image uploading or such, ie. an image posted once can be isolated by a user and pushed to their content that they want to reference the image in a personal blog post from another users forum or gallery post.

Lets face facts... establishing these areas is pretty straight forward nowadays... being some type of navigation with content area, then just leave the rest as open and flexible as possible for the admin / user to decide on what other content is shown on a given page / area. That is where many go wrong... limits. Don't limit admins or users, just give them as much as possible and allow them to turn on / off as they see fit. True content integration seems to be the seriously lacking aspect of all right now.

Before I could even find myself remotely supporting a CMS for XenForo, I'd want a final version of this forum available bug-free, error-free, and polished. I also think that bridges between currently available software (Wordpress, Movable Type, and ExpressionEngine) should come first.

When they get to the development of a CMS, Blog, Gallery, etc... I would actually rather see a full push / pull data ability. The current detraction in abilities of existing players is the ability to move content freely between any area of the site. To me, that is what full integration means, not just push data from the forum to content or blogs, but from cms to blog, from blog to forum, etc. Full manoeuvrability of any content is my vote. This includes posted comments / replies, all able to be shifted as one. I would even extend this to images or video posted content in any area with a gallery, so it can be pushed or pulled anywhere, which in essence reduces multiple image uploading or such, ie. an image posted once can be isolated by a user and pushed to their content that they want to reference the image in a personal blog post from another users forum or gallery post.

Lets face facts... establishing these areas is pretty straight forward nowadays... being some type of navigation with content area, then just leave the rest as open and flexible as possible for the admin / user to decide on what other content is shown on a given page / area. That is where many go wrong... limits. Don't limit admins or users, just give them as much as possible and allow them to turn on / off as they see fit. True content integration seems to be the seriously lacking aspect of all right now.

Agreed.

Before I could even find myself remotely supporting a CMS for XenForo, I'd want a final version of this forum available bug-free, error-free, and polished. I also think that bridges between currently available software (Wordpress, Movable Type, and ExpressionEngine) should come first.

I agree with you in the first part, but I don't agree with the bridges between XF and other software. Whatever you think, in-house Gallery, CMS and Blog is much better than any software with whatever bridges there can be.

I agree that the product should be compatible to be bridged with WP, Joomla, Drupal and other key CMS / softwares, but I don't think its something for xenforo devs to do, as that is what allows third party developers to produce and leave those supported issues away from the primary software team. Those who want to use those softwares and bridge, go through cross platform skinning, etc... it should be an option, as again, it opens the product to the largest most diverse buyers.

This is something VB stuffed up with 4.x, making it so incredibly difficult to integrate with third part providers, people like Jfusion just gave up and issued a notice it was simply far to difficult for basic cross platform integration, which stopped many upgrading to 4.x forum only and using Joomla as a CMS.

If the product fits both models, then you instantly fit 2x the possible buyers of software, being bridgeable and a xencms product.

I would prefer a simple portal/index page with informations on latest posts, polls etc. etc. and the ability that staff can promote any threads/posts as articles or news in the middle of that page.

Again I find myself in total agreement with Anthony.

The option to promote a thread topic to a CMS article, whilst comments are added to the original thread, pushing people towards the forums would be great.

Put a calendar into that mix, and be able to feature a major event (example) on your front page whilst it's discussed in the forum and remains listed in the events calendar would be awesome.

Top Bottom