CMS/Blog/Gallery Thoughts

ZippySLC

I know there's been tons of discussion on how we want xenForo to have a CMS, blogging, and gallery function. My suggestion is, don't.

Wordpress, Drupal/Joomla, and Menalto Gallery are all fine pieces of software. Rather than having forum developers try to build some sort of CMS, I'd like to see the development team focus on the forum software and instead just write some form of bridge into some selected CMS/Blog/Gallery software. That way we can leverage the very experienced developers of those products and keep the focus on the forum software with our dev team.

Most online communities now cannot live without SOME kind of cms. And, if you do not have your forum+cms in the same platform, then you have to deal with matters of styling, upgrading, new compatibilites issues etc ALL the time.

I would prefer to have a cms built within XF, even with limited functionality, than to have to deal with bridges to other platforms, even though they are way better in terms of cms.

CMS/Blog/Gallery Thoughts

No/No/YES!!!!

CMS, hmm Wordpress is so awesome, and when I think back to the best produced CMS for a forum so far - the IPContent product - I recall that it is very good if you are an experienced web designer and PHP coder, but otherwise it is capable of reducing grown men to crying. I wonder if given how good Wordpress is, and how easily it is now bridged (thank you !!!) I wonder if it is really necessary for Xenforo to try to better what is an awesome product.. not sure.

Blogs are largely a waste of time and money on forums, and rarely used in my experience, serious bloggers, actually have "real" blogs, and mostly what happens is a forum buys the blogs component, and a bunch of the regulars start one, and pots ONCE then abandon it....the only time I have seen integrated blogs sucessfully used is on very very specific forums where they are used to track co-operative projects, or similar.

Gallery - OH YES PLEASE! This is one thing that I think is a wonderful use of resources, a fully integrated Gallery, that is capable of more than we have seen from galleries to date.. that I would LOVE!!!

I strongly disagree. I want complete integrated CMS, gallery, etc where members can comment and contribute without separate logins, and where there is the same functionality, look and feel as the xenForo forum.

I am 100% confident that xenForo can create these add-ons with the same quality as the forum! :)

Wordpress is free...
Blog.... xenforo profile can handle that... (A little tweak will be enough)
Gallery without a working cart system... not useful.

I rather see a fully working cart... but this is beta and would like to have seen it...
Purchase upgrades without needing to move and or add another title / user group (special trophies, bigger inbox, allow more images, purchase real & digital items, Blah, Blah, Blah,...)

A fully integrated CMS will be the ONLY thing that holds me back from buying this software. (times 10)

Hell, the CMS doesn't have to be fancy. I think you guys have 99% of the functionality, bells and whistles. You just need to get an article revision system in place and you are GOLDEN.

Definitely button up the forum first, but I hope the CMS is soon to follow.

CMS > Blogs so I could care less about that. And Galleries should be a complete after thought since that will be a plugin created by someone else.

I think a good CMS should be the priority. I agree it does not have to be a fancy and complex one with lots of features. Personally, all I need is a front page news system that would pull the articles from the selected forum categories. It may be developed into a more complex product with later versions. It would be even better if cms and forum is developed as one product. I know Kier and Mike's priority is the forum but I disagree with that. Times are changing. The idea of "forums" is not going to die, but it has to evolve.

Just make a simple but solid CMS. Make modules and blocks system and let the community do the rest.

I think a good CMS should be the priority. I agree it does not have to be a fancy and complex one with lots of features. Personally, all I need is a front page news system that would pull the articles from the selected forum categories. It may be developed into a more complex product with later versions. It would be even better if cms and forum is developed as one product. I know Kier and Mike's priority is the forum but I disagree with that. Times are changing. The idea of "forums" is not going to die, but it has to evolve.

Just make a simple but solid CMS. Make modules and blocks system and let the community do the rest.
Word up! A front page with some simple functionality is fine for beta, even for 1.0.

You mean like Jaxels XenPortal add-on? :p
Depending on add-ons for basic functionality isn't the way to go, I think.

Depending on add-ons for basic functionality isn't the way to go, I think.

Agree. I'd prefer such an important part of the site should be developed by xenforo team. I don't want to deal with things like the add-on developer stopping working on the add-on etc.. It should be officially supported.

I think the idea and vision behind the vbulletin publishing suite is good but they couldn't manage to make a good product. Vbulletin cms is really bad yet we have two great coders here (for now) so what they will do is probably going to be good.

CMS - Ive never been too bothered about. Have always been of the opinion that if I need a content page enough then I'll put the time in to create one myself, however can understand why others would want one. Personally would be happy with a drupal or joomla bridge for this (infact imo it would be ideal)

Blogs - I think there is enough blogging software out there that have been massivly developed for purpose IMHO. However would def need a bridge to ensure users dont have to be logging in etc and would like some way of showing new blogs on the sidebar. Also the biggest advantage I see on invision with this is that it appears in new content which is something I find many pieces of software miss out on. Without them appearing here then new comments and blogs simply get missed by the users and so people stop using them.

Gallery - This one I would greatly greatly appreciate a solution from the xenforo team. For no other reason than it is such an integral part of many forums. If you have a graphic forum then obvious why, if you have a car forum people post their cars, a husky forum like mine people post their huskies, a tourest forum, gaming forum for screenshots, etc etc etc. This is something I would really like to see what Kier and Mike could come up with and to be honest would use this before I use some of the other items yet to create such as the calender. Dunno what others think of that comment?

CMS - Ive never been too bothered about. Have always been of the opinion that if I need a content page enough then I'll put the time in to create one myself, however can understand why others would want one. Personally would be happy with a drupal or joomla bridge for this (infact imo it would be ideal)
The problem with a bridge is that you won't get such great features as the alerts-button, xenforo sidebar items. With only a bridge members will have to visit the forum to see new alerts etc. I really would like to be able to skip third party software when xenforo clearly can make great looking functionality themselves. :)

Top Bottom