CMS/Blog/Gallery Thoughts

ZippySLC

I know there's been tons of discussion on how we want xenForo to have a CMS, blogging, and gallery function. My suggestion is, don't.

Wordpress, Drupal/Joomla, and Menalto Gallery are all fine pieces of software. Rather than having forum developers try to build some sort of CMS, I'd like to see the development team focus on the forum software and instead just write some form of bridge into some selected CMS/Blog/Gallery software. That way we can leverage the very experienced developers of those products and keep the focus on the forum software with our dev team.

The problem with a bridge is that you won't get such great features as the alerts-button, xenforo sidebar items. With only a bridge members will have to visit the forum to see new alerts etc. I really would like to be able to skip third party software when xenforo clearly can make great looking functionality themselves. :)

Oh dont get me wrong, I would love there to be a full xenforo version. Just for me gallery would be top of my wishlist :)

The problem with a bridge is that you won't get such great features as the alerts-button, xenforo sidebar items. With only a bridge members will have to visit the forum to see new alerts etc. I really would like to be able to skip third party software when xenforo clearly can make great looking functionality themselves. :)

I think enough people will want this such that it will eventually happen. Of course if you have the forums as your www.site.com landing page, your users will see their alerts from the Home Page.

Depending on add-ons for basic functionality isn't the way to go, I think.
I think you mean it is, not isn't ? Non ?
Certainly xenporta would have your alerts on the home page, as you desire.

People wont be happy with a half-baked solution. Look what happened with the VB CMS.

Wordpress was and always will be better than vB CMS.
Do you really think that Kier and Mike would make a portal disaster like the "5 years in the making" vB CMS ? No.

A fully integrated CMS will be the ONLY thing that holds me back from buying this software. (times 10) Hell, the CMS doesn't have to be fancy. I think you guys have 99% of the functionality, bells and whistles. You just need to get an article revision system in place and you are GOLDEN.
+ 1 agree on the article system.

I think either Wordpress (aweseome SEO) or Xenporta would work very well for you.
I would like Jaxel to make XenArticle.
I think he could probably make it relatively easily (he's done much harder stuff).
Why don't you outline what you'd need and kick him some cash to do it. I'd probably chip in depending on your vision.

Wants CMS artical system.

How about you, robdog and I hit up Jaxel for XenArticles ?
:)

I think you mean it is, not isn't ? Non ?
Certainly xenporta would have your alerts on the home page, as you desire.
Xenporta is a great product, but it can't be used on www.site.com, only with my forum on www.site.com/forum and xenporta on www.site.com/portal and then with a redirect from www.site.com to www.site.com/portal. And as I said before, I would prefer not to depend on add-ons. Xenporta can always stop being supported and not work in the next beta. I would like xenforo to create that functionality instead (a simple splash page will suffice for now).

Xenporta is a great product, but it can't be used on www.site.com, only with my forum on www.site.com/forum and xenporta on www.site.com/portal
I've suggested this many times.
I'd swear there was a work around ... anyone ?

And as I said before, I would prefer not to depend on add-ons. Xenporta can always stop being supported and not work in the next beta. I would like xenforo to create that functionality instead (a simple splash page will suffice for now).

Hmmmmmm .... the likelihood of XenPorta "all of a sudden not working" and not getting fixed "super fast" is very low. Jaxel loves keeping stuff up to date and uses his own plugins.

http://www.8wayrun.com - his site. Clearly the best xenforo site out there.

I am running a community which would prefer a cms system.
Maybe xfadvanced will come...
Xenporta is good but as danielweber already wrote it cant be used from root
There is another portal software, but from what i read right now, it hast problems with userrights?
Those who want a CMS can only hope and wait

Xenporta is good but as danielweber already wrote it cant be used from root

The reason that XenPorta can't be the homepage is a limitation of xenforo itself NOT xenporta.
This means that if Xenforo released their own CMS Portal Addon - it would have the same problem.

I believe people have made workarounds in the XenPorta thread.

As well, the talented KingKovifor has a work around he's made, and is hoping to complete a Xenforo addon that would accomplish what many people want ... being able to make an Addon the www.site.com landing page.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/addon-as-default-page.8510/

I think my wants are pretty small. I want to be able to promote a thread to an article and have comments to the article and posts to threads be able to appear in both places. I then want to be able to add the articles to an index so people can pull up all the articles I have placed under a specific category.

I want only admins to have the ability to promote an article. And I want it to be in a XenForo wrapper. It would also be nice to have it double column.

The reason that XenPorta can't be the homepage is a limitation of xenforo itself NOT xenporta.
This means that if Xenforo released their own CMS Portal Addon - it would have the same problem.

I believe people have made workarounds in the XenPorta thread.

As well, the talented KingKovifor has a work around he's made, and is hoping to complete a Xenforo addon that would accomplish what many people want ... being able to make an Addon the www.site.com landing page.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/addon-as-default-page.8510/
Wow! Don't give me THAT much credit! I just need to fix it for one to two minor things (AKA, not sure why but forum index now always shows... *sigh*)

IMO: Xenforo should not move to blog or cms until they make a stable release..
I am starting to love this soft now, but I am afraid, if they move to cms/blog.. they would stop(decrease) paying care to forum.

so far, Joomla, wordpress and VB CMS..

I know nothing about Joomla, I like WordPress but I haven't been able to get the WP/xF bridge working, so I started playing with Contentteller CMS a couple of days ago, which is professionally integrated with xenForo and I've got to say as a fairly inexperienced person I am liking it so much that I think I am going to grab a licence in their 1/2 price Christmas sale that ends today. It seems to offer what I was expecting from vB CMS, and what a disappointment that turned out to be.

You maybe interested in looking at this thread: Help to test my Contentteller CMS bridged xenForo install.

Wants CMS artical system.
Wants more forum features!

Dear_Santa.webp

biggrin.png

Top Bottom