As designed Clicking on category with subcategories loses navigation (mobile view)

Mr Lucky

To reproduce:

• View the category list in mobile view (so that the category list navigation has dropped from sidebar to underneath the resource lists)
  • Click on a category with subcategories, e.g. on this forum Developer Resources

Result:

The view jumps to the very top of the page and you have to scroll all the way down again in order to view or click on any of the subcategories.

Each category has its own page and it displays different content, so this is expected.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but if I want to see Development Tutorials I need to:

1. Scroll all the way down to the list.
  2. Click on Developer Resources in the list
  3. Scroll all the way back down again, past all the resources in order to click through to the menu item I wanted.

Surely this is not the user experience you would want?

There are multiple reasons for clicking a category. We optimize viewing that category's content, rather than drilling down.

You are being clear. This is working as expected.

Each time you click on a category, the page is reloaded and the resources from that category (or, in some cases, its child categories) are shown. You are taken to the top of the page because the page is reloaded with the contents of that category each time.

The behaviour is identical whether on mobile or not, it's just the responsive design dictates that the category list is collapsed below the resource list, hence more scrolling required when navigating between categories.

That's just how it works.

You click any link at the bottom of a page, when the link loads you will be at the top of the next page.

If a change of behaviour is desired, then a suggestion would need to be posted.

In fact, some suggestions exist already related to this. You posted one, but it was a duplicate so I merged it with the original:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/responsive-categories-should-be-shown-at-the-very-top.83700/

Then there's this one:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/show-collapse-sub-categories-as-default-setting-etc.61355/

The latter one proposes a change of behaviour so that the categories drill down rather than loading the category's content.

Top Bottom