As designed Clickability Inconsistency on Admin Control Panel Navigation Sidebar

Amaury

This may be as designed, but in the admin control panel, there's a sidebar under each thing (Home, Users, etc.) that lists sections and links related to that thing. For example:

Threads & Posts (section - plain text)
Thread Prefixes (section link)
Batch Update Threads (section link)

However, in some cases, the section title is a also link, and a duplicate one at that. For example, Node Tree (section) and Display Node Tree (section link) both link to the same place.

There's a huge inconsistency here because some are clickable and some are not. The ones are that are clickable should not be, in my opinion, since they're duplicates, anyway. Clickable ones are:

Home:
  • Notices
  • Add-ons

Applications:
  • Node Tree
  • Feeder

Users:
  • User Groups
  • User Upgrades

Tools:
  • CAPTCHA

This is either a duplicate or as designed.

When creating an admin navigation entry, developers can choose to enter a link. If it is a root entry, they don't have to. If they do, then it's clickable, if they don't then it isn't.

Liam

This is either a duplicate or as designed.

When creating an admin navigation entry, developers can choose to enter a link. If it is a root entry, they don't have to. If they do, then it's clickable, if they don't then it isn't.

Liam

I don't think I explained myself well. I'll use screenshots:

Bug 1.webp Bug 2.webp

Maybe I didn't explain myself well?

I'll use one.

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 01.40.15.webp
This is the page with the navigation entries, you've probably seen it before...

As you can see, some 'root' entries have a page specified and some do not. This is set when creating the entry.

Liam

I haven't, no, but I think that's what I'm trying to say (I'm not even sure myself, haha).

For example, "Notices" and "List Notices" are both links and both link to admin.php?notices/. However, "Notices" shouldn't be a link.

I haven't, no, but I think that's what I'm trying to say (I'm not even sure myself, haha).

For example, "Notices" and "List Notices" are both links and both link to admin.php?notices/. However, "Notices" shouldn't be a link.

Maybe so, but it's been very deliberately made like that :)

Amaury, there's nothing stopping you from editing your own navigation :) To be honest, I think this is a feature and with good design. Until now, I didnt even know the section headers were / could be links. On further checking, whether they are set up to be links or not in each individual case the section heading styling is the same, which is important for consistency. It therefore is just an additional benefit for accessibility. I liken this to the <label> functionality on checkboxes. I also liken it to clickable icons in front of navigation elements. If the icon isnt linked, no big deal... if it is, bonus.

I've seen your other posts in this bug forum Amaury and have to give you a lot of credit for reporting definite inconsistencies; I just think this particular one is an on-purpose feature as opposed to a bug / oversight.

This is as designed and the choice relates to a few different elements relating to if there is a single primary page in the section and the significance of the breadcrumb changes.

Top Bottom