Add-on Classifieds for XF2

I am back, yes I went to IPS but back with XF now on 1 of my sites so I have continued on with trying to create a Classifieds section for it.

I am using the XF core functionality of a Page (a classifieds landing page), Forums for categories, Prefixes, Custom thread fields, some template edits and other things plus a couple of small addons which I use in my site anyway.

I still have to do the template changes for the actual first post in the listing to look something like the IPS version of:
3.webp

Once it is all done I will release it for free and hopefully we can help each other with different enhancements to it. This is it so far:

@Kevin I thought of treating this a bit of a Social Experiment to see whether we could create a function for a website i.e. Classifieds using XF core functionality but with the freedom for a site owner to create their own views etc. I am sick and tired of being ripped off by some fly by night developers so this way the Classifieds function would not be dependent on an addon developer but rather we all help each other to create various options and share them. So to do this and as mentioned before it uses XF core functionality plus the standard templates of forum_view and thread_view have a simple "if" statement to use an alternative version of the template if the forum is a Classifieds forum. For example, at the beginning of the forum_view template I have:
Code:
<xf:if is="in_array({$forum.node_id}, [71,72,73,74,75,76,77])">
    <xf:include template="forum_view_classifieds" />
<xf:else />
Now the site owner can create whatever view they want for the Classifieds forum view in the forum_view_classifieds template. PLUS, other site owners can share their template with other site owners so hence the "Social Experiment". The great thing is that it doesn't cost anyone anything and if XF upgrades then the site owners who use a specific view template can work together to simply adapt it.

Well, I think it's a good thought anyway and who knows...I still believe that there is still some decency out there.

However, my current setup "is" using an addon for the look which I am learning from plus it uses one of @AndyB great addons called Trader but these are just to get started with it

I am back, yes I went to IPS but back with XF now on 1 of my sites so I have continued on with trying to create a Classifieds section for it.

I am using the XF core functionality of a Page (a classifieds landing page), Forums for categories, Prefixes, Custom thread fields, some template edits and other things plus a couple of small addons which I use in my site anyway.

I still have to do the template changes for the actual first post in the listing to look something like the IPS version of:
View attachment 218341

Once it is all done I will release it for free and hopefully we can help each other with different enhancements to it. This is it so far:

Looking spiffy. If you can get it close to the IPS look we will all benefit. Thanks for all the work.

Thats great news Ian (On a purely personal level there!) - welcome back!!

Above is looking great - really looking forwards to playing and seeing what you come up with! :)

@ibaker With a goal of avoiding 3rd-party add-ons for a 'Classifieds' section, have you explored your options yet on how to handle 'feedback' after the sales? At the moment I have a license for XenCentral Feedback but am trying to avoid using 3rd party stuff also*. Using custom thread fields and some creative use of template changes it could handle the 'classifieds' type section, alas, at the moment, I'm at a loss for thinking of ways of handling the 'feedback' associated to the classifieds transaction.

* = Before anybody asks, it's for a number of reasons, nothing against any particular dev' or vendor.

Hi @Kevin I am starting to think that it is unavoidable to use an addon of some kind purely due to extra functions that will be needed. Case in point would be the way I would like to see the attachments handled in a Classified listing. There is an optional extra feedback system that AndyB has called Trader and looking at that there is a lot involved that I don't think can just use the inbuilt XF functionality however I do like your idea of Custom Thread Fields that may be able to achieve a transaction score...I will have a look.

Yesterday I added a Google Map based on a Custom Thread Field for Location so I am progressing:
1.jpg

I think @Bob has finally crafted a very capable classifieds add-on for XF 2.
I would recommend to contact him how you can get access to it, since he often does not release his add-ons here any more.
He's not got one on his website?

View attachment 218341

Nice classified , what addon are you using ?

Top Bottom