Chris Deeming as Moderator?

DRE

Can you consider making Chris Deeming a moderator? He has been really great with both xenforo and addon support but is not so nice that he's a push over. He's online a lot, almost as much as Brogan, speaking of Brogan, thanks for promoting him back as moderator Mike. Before you say 'Brogan is all the moderator we need' please consider this observation I've made about Brogan and Jake Bunce, who are both great moderators. Brogan and Jake Bunce made excellent resources and probably would've made more if Xenforo drama wasn't such a burden. Although the lawsuit is over, Xenforo will now have increased members and spammers. Speaking of spammers, that's one thing I saw Jake being burdened with a lot last year, so much that Kier had to make a thread about it in Announcements.

But yeah that's my suggestion and the reasons behind it. I hope that Chris Deeming as moderator would balance Xenforo even more than it already is and propel it to having the best support out of any forum software possible. It's easy to say 'Oh we already have a great support community' but even better to say 'our staff is the ship!' Right now Xenforo Staff isn't the ship just yet. We're just now getting our captains back. Some members might think you're the ship but when you've got moderators who gets 'Where is Waldo' type threads cause no one can find them and other moderators who get sonned so bad they lock up their own threads then you need some DeemIt in your life.

He already acts like one, he's lightening fast at jumping on peoples issues and solving them

I second it, but I think ultimately, it's his choice (I believe he may have been asked).. but not everyone wants to be a mod

Angry Bird (Chris) 4 Moderator
angry_bird___girl_by_life_as_a_coder-d3g5mbe.jpg

On my site, any "consider user 'x'" for staff positions automatically removes 'x' from any consideration for a staff position.
I once had a person recommend creating a whole new forum - suggesting that he could be the moderator of it since he knows about the topic. lol. No thanks.

Chris is an asset to this community and he has helped so many of us. But wouldn't the fact he is a developer and sells paid-for add-ons be a conflict of interests when it comes to moderation?

I once had a person recommend creating a whole new forum - suggesting that he could be the moderator of it since he knows about the topic. lol. No thanks.

I have never, ever let the membership suggest who should, or who should not be a moderator. I drag who I feel is the most qualified kicking and screaming into the position. Staff positions are the type of thing that the staff running the site should determine, not the membership.

I have never, ever let the membership suggest who should, or who should not be a moderator. I drag who I feel is the most qualified kicking and screaming into the position. Staff positions are the type of thing that the staff running the site should determine, not the membership.
I hand-picked most of my staff and my staff has also suggested a couple. That one person I mentioned above was the only time I've had someone try. But my site is quite small (28,906 posts; 4,295 members), and hasn't been as active as it was a couple years ago.

On my site, any "consider user 'x'" for staff positions automatically removes 'x' from any consideration for a staff position.
So on your site you don't let members suggest should or should not be a moderator but here you are giving input on why somebody should not be a moderator? :cautious:

Didn't say Chris should be considered one way or the other. Just stating that IMO, it's a staff function, not a membership function.

That won't be possible. :)

As for Chris Deeming as a moderator here and if this were to happen I think xenforo would only benefit from him on staff. A genuinely kind Guy, helpful and always helping people out. Win!!
lol

I'll make one.

Chris is an asset to this community and he has helped so many of us. But wouldn't the fact he is a developer and sells paid-for add-ons be a conflict of interests when it comes to moderation?
Shouldn't be a conflict of interest. You know Jake Bunce puts donate to his paypal links in some of his resources right? Would you say Jake Bunce putting his paypal there as being a conflict of interest? How about Slavik who has both paid resources and an upcoming xenforo optimized hosting service? They are still moderators.

Shouldn't be a conflict of interest. You know Jake Bunce puts donate to his paypal links in some of his resources right? Would you say Jake Bunce putting his paypal there as being a conflict of interest? How about Slavik who has both paid resources and an upcoming xenforo optimized hosting service? They are still moderators.
There is a difference between someone who markets stuff and someone who says donate if you want....
big difference...

Good points either way. I like the guy a lot, so was really just "asking the question" to help define what we all consider as acceptable for the moderation side of things. And yes, ultimately it's down to KAM to decide whether anything is a conflict of interests. I guess you could find things with any of the moderators and consider it a conflict if you look hard enough - Slavik setting up paid-for hosting for example.

Reactions: DRE
Good points either way. I like the guy a lot, so was really just "asking the question" to help define what we all consider as acceptable for the moderation side of things. And yes, ultimately it's down to KAM to decide whether anything is a conflict of interests. I guess you could find things with any of the moderators and consider it a conflict if you look hard enough - Slavik setting up paid-for hosting for example.
Word.

I guess with the conflict of interest thing...let KAM handle it if it ever becomes a problem. Right now, I don't see there being a problem.

Top Bottom