Check out the new smilie dropdown

What I'd like to know is how this new drop down deals with +100 smileys, does it just keep expanding?
It's a simple grid format.
The more smilies you have, the more rows there will be.

You can however edit the number of columns in editor.js if you wanted to have say 10 smilies per row, instead of 6.

For those wondering, this is how it would appear with a few more smilies.

smilies.webp

And with 10 smilies per row.

80.webp

Works well for me. :) I only ever use the standard smilie set with maybe another half-dozen or so. On our forums smilies are not allowed on approx. 80% of the forums, as they are a real distraction from the content. The only forums that smilies and images are allowed are the off-topic forums.

I think smilies are an important part. Reason being is a smiley can change the feeling or meaning of a post with just one smiley. Also using the wrong smiley can lead to a post being taken the wrong way of the authors original intentions. I think we have all seen that happen.

For those that do use a lot of smilies then I think having the category options and bulk uploader would be great. I am one though that would rather have a select few, up to about 30 - 40 nice smilies and that is it. With the way the drop down box works now it basically suits me perfect. They are all right there for easy selection.

Do you at least think it was better than it was before or did you like that better than the change?
Well, for me there's no difference in both versions because I have to add more than 30 different smileys sets / categories and when you use different sets you must need it categorized for better display. If you mix all sets of smileys with different sizes different colors different emotions, it looks very bad and you can't use.

Well, for me there's no difference in both versions because I have to add more than 30 different smileys sets / categories and when you use different sets you must need it categorized for better display. If you mix all sets of smileys with different sizes different colors different emotions, it looks very bad and you can't use.
ah ok, I see what you mean.

Thanks for the screenies Brogan.

Yes this would be the perfect solution IF all of your smilies are close to the same size and there are few, if any, animations.
But for the rest of us, we're hoping for a better solution. :)

I think smilies are an important part. Reason being is a smiley can change the feeling or meaning of a post with just one smiley. Also using the wrong smiley can lead to a post being taken the wrong way of the authors original intentions. I think we have all seen that happen.

Well you would say that, wouldn't you!!!!
wink.png

I rarely use the dropdown, but hey, looks far more organized now. Could have gotten really crazy with tons of smile :).

Top Bottom