Check out the new smilie dropdown

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Yay!

It's now in a grid format :)

You might need to refresh the javascript in your browser by pressing CTRL+F5 (a few times if using Chrome
rolleyes.png
)

Waiting for tabs to sort them out properly... But it looks great... wonder what it would look like with big and small images mixed with same or every other layer.

Does this mean since it's fixed here and noted by the mods that we should look for a Beta 6 (or RC1) upgrade soonish?

Does this mean since it's fixed here and noted by the mods that we should look for a Beta 6 (or RC1) upgrade soonish?
Not today, that is for sure.
Although I would think it would be ironic to release 1.0 Stable 1 year after vB4.0. But I know that won't happen.

Whadaya usin ie8 for?

j/k, might be a cache issue.
Firefox is a resource hogger
Opera is better
Safari? Why did they even bother to make it...

I like using IE and save password in FF/OP, but mainly browse with IE for easy.

Ah i mocked up something like this and suggested in one the threads around request section :p

Cheers
biggrin.png

Will like to start my own mockups of this.... after you start the thread... ;)

Wait... just remember seeing smiles under content area... That would be nice to see that within xenforo as an option from admin area.

I'm going to be the party pooper here. Sorry but I have to be honest.

I have more expectations with the whole smiley manager thing from the backend (Sorting, Categorising,) Frontend (Category Navigation, Smilies below text option, drag and drop functionality). I understand that tinymce is a pain and the update is an improvement but I really don't like it to the point I still can't bring myself to use the dropdown.

This is by far not a complaint I appreciate that Mike or kier took the time in doing this. I feel it's a little inconsistent with xenforo, with all it's innovation. Again this is not a complaint just that the smiley manager is one of a few areas I have my heart setting on blowing us away. I'm in no rush so it happens when it happens and again it's great to see this has been touch upon and noticed that people are having issues with the dropdown menu.

Edit: I would have liked to have seen smilies under the text area been included. Is this an option? Much like the "happyplace mod".

I think I'm with Shelley, here. Simplicity is a great thing and something that XenForo is a great example of...except for choosing smilies.

I like the idea of putting them under the text area...and if there are a lot, use the scrolling arrow like you have in the pagination to show the "next set of x."

It's an improvement on the vertical drop down :)

...but I am also with Shelley, I would love to see a really good smilie handler build into xF, something amazing! None of the other guys have this, and I think it is often underestimated just how important Smilies are on a forum.... it is one of the huge advantages that forums have over other social network outlets.

I agree with both Shelley and Kim here. As I posted above, this is a start. At least the smiley dropdown has been touched on.

However, imo, it's not enough. Not by far. XenForo is about innovation, imagination, moving into the future, is it not? Well then, you can't leave the smilies behind.
I had this conversation with Kier way before XF even opened. Do we need smilies? Probably not. However, to most of us, smilies are important to a forum. People - love - their - smilies. There's no way around it.

So, imo, it's time to stop looking at smilies as an unimportant side dish, and look at them as a luscious dessert - something we don't necessarily need, but everyone wants, and will not do without.
yes.gif

I am with shelley on having this implymented in future release 'TheHappyPlace-Mod' or very simular... do not forget the avatar/sig. manager to stop spam....(had to same something) :).

Oddly I do not use the drop menu for some odd reason... Oh thats right, I would have to move my hand onto the mouse and then motion it or click on the area or something... Meh!, rather push buttons and use my mouse for flash games. :D

Top Bottom