Check Add-On update [Deleted]

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 232995
  • Start date Start date
The old known problem...
"2.3.0 Resease Candidate 1" is not the same as "2.3.0 RC 1" although it means the same thing. ;)

I think there will be a litle typo problem in the add-on version informations from OzzModz - at the add-on OzzModz name it ... Release Candidate but here at Xenforo its named RC 1
(maybe can @Ozzy47 take a look at this?)

The old known problem
Which could be easily fixed in one place (the addon developers crawler)

"2.3.0 Resease Candidate 1" is not the same as "2.3.0 RC 1" although it means the same thing.
Oh but it is the same... A simple replacement could easily be added to the crawler so we don't have to nag every addon dev every time this happens 🙄

RC == Release Candidate
PL == Patch Level

This doesn't ofc help if there is typo.. But then you can nag (or you know... Ask nicely) 😉

All I wrote was that "Release Randidate 1" and "RC 1" are not the same (is it wrong? nope, it isnt ;) ).
And since I'm not using OzzModz's specific add-on, I asked someone who should know to take a look. So what's your problem with? :unsure:
... especially since I'm not even the developer of the addon, nor related or married to him.

Off Topic:
Man, it seems you have a realy problem with me - learn to deal with criticism instead of dismissing this as nagging. ;):)
Otherwise it doesn't seem very professional, it must have really hurt you... if you still react so resentfully so long afterwards.

One almost regrets having recently renewed two licenses with you. :rolleyes:

I asked someone who should know to take a look. So what's your problem with? :unsure:
... especially since I'm not even the developer of the addon, nor related or married to him.
The one who knows and should take a look at this is really @0815 :)

The problem I'm having with this is that @0815 could easily add substitutions for the following in his crawler before parsing the version:
  • RC <=> Release Candidate
  • PL <=> Patch Level
That way his addon would show it correctly, even when an addon developer types it "wrong" (which it isn't...)

Why should we need to ping addon developers every time this happens, when the problem could be easily be fixed in one place (the crawler..)

Man, it seems you have a realy problem with me - learn to deal with criticism instead of dismissing this as nagging.
Sorry if it comes off like that, not my intent at all. :)

The one who knows and should take a look at this is really @0815 :)

The problem I'm having with this is that @0815 could easily add substitutions for the following in his crawler before parsing the version:
  • RC <=> Release Candidate
  • PL <=> Patch Level
That way his addon would show it correctly, even when an addon developer types it "wrong" (which it isn't...)

Why should we need to ping addon developers every time this happens, when the problem could be easily be fixed in one place (the crawler..)

Why should I?
If the developer writes "XY" on page A and "YX" on page B, then this is not something that falls within my remit. Why can't the developer get it right on all pages? Why should I work for the convenience of others?

And if I start replacing anything e.g. "RC" in "Release Candidate" where does it stop?

Sorry - you're crazy and I also have no idea why they fire against me/my add-on all the time.

One thing at least is clear.
I had already written that I was drawing consequences.
This add-on/work is not worth this stress - this hostile climate.

If the developer writes "XY" on page A and "YX" on page B, then this is not something that falls within my remit. Why can't the developer get it right on all pages? Why should I work for the convenience of others?
The /history page is the one that shows the version (from the "New version number" when releasing a new version)
1669181974212.png1669183114364.webp

And the /updates page shows whatever the dev wrote when posting the update in the "Update title"-field. (Also note there can be an update posted without a version being released...)
1669182232269.webp1669183242428.webp

So the page that should be checked is the /history page if you want version number :)

And if I start replacing anything e.g. "RC" in "Release Candidate" where does it stop?
I haven't suggested anything other than the RC and PL substitutions, which are interchangeable.. :)
(addon.json outputs Release Candidate and Patch Level, while version_format() wants RC/PL)

Sorry - you're crazy and I also have no idea why they fire against me/my add-on all the time.
It might be because other addon developers were being messaged that they were doing things wrong, due to this addon not handling RC/PL wording broadly enough. (They probably didn't like that...) It is unfortunate, and it wasn't you who were doing that messaging. 😬

When I pointed it out that this needs to be fixed on your end you said that I'm wrong, but as I wrote in this post the version_format() won't work with XF versioning (addon.json version_string) unless you substitute the (Release Candidate, Patch Level) for the PHP accepted versioning (RC, PL)...

Thanks @mazzly !

@0815
Short ask: can it be - are there some problems with the updater cron?
This add-on:
has a Update today 3:39 and my cron is proper runing but gives no notice/message about a new update.
Or is it only not yet in your add-on database?
OK, versioning is at this point a litle bit confusing... or is this the litle trouble maker (back step in version number or have I tomatos on my eys? ;) ) in this case?
1669488607828.png

Its no big thing - but I see it and tinked I just ask for now. :)

Edit:
Yes - it is a version number error... ;-)
1669488888884.png

Edit2:
Ok, after reading the thread from the addon... we have to deinstall the old version and then clean install the new one. This hint is at the moment missing in the update notices of that add-on. Damn... ;-)

Last edited:
I think that after all the hostility in recent times @0815 has stopped the development, which I personally find very sad.

@0815 , please resume development and make the whole thing chargeable; I'm happy to pay for it.

Sry for German:

Du weisst doch wie das ist; sobald was kostenlos ist, hat jeder was zu meckern ;) :D

One thing at least is clear.
I had already written that I was drawing consequences.
This add-on/work is not worth this stress - this hostile climate.
That's a shame.
If there is anything I have learned about running AVForums for nearly 23 years, it's that you need to have a thick skin when conversing in a forum.
Being able to deal with others, manage their expectations and respond appropriately when they make unreasonable demands is a fairly important skill, unfortunately. And do not take things too personally.
If you are putting in time to produce an addon and it is causing you stress then maybe charge for it. Or quit it. I support your decision.
If you do decide to drop the addon, though, please declare it so that someone else may take it over and release it.
Thanks

I think that after all the hostility in recent times @0815 has stopped the development, which I personally find very sad.
@0815 , please resume development and make the whole thing chargeable; I'm happy to pay for it.
Exactly, very sad! ... but making it paid add-on will not make people less hostile :unsure:
I know that from my own experience. In the past I had a couple of $5 add-ons. It is unbelievable what people expect for such a low price: Official tax invoice, demanding tax refunds with credit invoices (the work involved with that alone for just $5 add-on!!), 24x7 support, etc etc. For me it was not worth it.

Exactly, very sad! ... but making it paid add-on will not make people less hostile :unsure:
I know that from my own experience. In the past I had a couple of $5 add-ons. It is unbelievable what people expect for such a low price: Official tax invoice, demanding tax refunds with credit invoices (the work involved with that alone for just $5 add-on!!), 24x7 support, etc etc. For me it was not worth it.
Having seen some of the messages that one developer got because they did not 'adhere' to 0815 standard... The 'hostility' in this thread is well founded.

0815 could easily make several small changes; one just translating PL to Patch Level, RC to Release Candidate and any other extremely common shorthand. He could also use the history page to pull the latest version from, rather than the update page. Both things were recommended by @mazzly.

There was some blowback about the need to put a donation button on a core XF page without any way to opt out, but honestly that is minor.

0815 had a very combative and insulting approach to blaming other developers, and rather than trying to work with them and communicate politely it turned into a situation where users hounded some developers.

The whole problem could have been resolved with an attitude adjustment or at the very least politely reaching out and asking if a small patch could be released to adjust how they do versioning. But that is obviously not what happened 🤷‍♂️.

I think the acid drops is sucked. (in German: "Der Drops ist gelutscht." oder: "Das Thema ist durch." ;) )
It's kind of pointless to step behind it now.
It was a free addon, I don't see any obligation for @0815 to implement this or that idea if he doesn't want to. Whether that's nice is another question.

I also had a short dispute with @mazzly in the meantime, but I think we settled it relatively quickly.
The @0815 now throws down again ... personally annoys me a lot, because unfortunately for me (and others) this is not the first such experience with him in relation to Xenforo things.

But to accuse him here of only wanting to solve certain things the way he solves them - I find it very unfair, because quite a few Xenforo addon developers do it hardly any differently. The tone of voice may be friendlier here and there, but I don't know if not answering at all is friendlier than what @0815 said. I do not think so.

I would think it would be much better if people thought forward here now.
@Ozzy47
I hope you can agree with him and take over and maintain this addon as well as the Check Tables addon. Or use this as an idea generator for your own addon if @0815 should now only be silent.

I’d be willing to support/maintain any of @0815 addons that he no longer wishes to handle.
I hope you can agree with him and take over and maintain this addon as well as the Check Tables addon. Or use this as an idea generator for your own addon if @0815 should now only be silent.
I've kind of been playing with the thought to create a similar addon at some point as I anyway have quite good knowledge with parsing, and collecting the version numbers shouldn't be that hard :) The check tables addon I'm not interested in further developing though, as I don't personally feel the need for it (usually things you want yourself become better developed)

Yep totally agree it is a pain to work with, and if you have a valid business those are required.. We've decided to release all of our other addons (except for AMPXF) for free since they are so simple and can't really justify charging for them, even if it would be something small like few € since the bookkeeping work for it is a pain :D

I've kind of been playing with the thought to create a similar addon at some point as I anyway have quite good knowledge with parsing, and collecting the version numbers shouldn't be that hard

Same here, I’ve started (early stage) of developing a similar addon.

Top Bottom