Check Add-On update Thread

Wow - glad to see things moving and even more so to have addon heavyweights involved in the discussion.

I would be even happier - if Xenforo developers were involved here - the drama surrounding the addon and the versioning ultimately grew to a certain extent on their code. ;-)
Setting standards together with third-party developers, creating a suitable development environment and insisting on compliance should be the task of Xenforo. My opinion from the user's point of view.

The version "1.2.3 patch 10" can't actually be encoded with CLI tool, and I've had legitimate reasons to need that.
IMHO the whole XenForo (Add-on) versioning is a big mess:
  • User-facing versions strings and internally used version IDs have no meaningful correlation, so there could be two entirely different "Version 1.0.0" of the very same Add-on with entirely different versions IDs
  • It is IMHO way too easy for developers to shoot themselves into the foot by wrecking the version ID
  • The system is inconsistent and confusing, for example the CLI tools would encode 1000091 as 1.0.0 Patch Level 1 from which it is impossible to go to a (seemlingly) higher "human readable" version 1.0.0.2 (version id 1000072)
  • According to the documentation the recommended version ID format is aabbccde with cc representing the patch version, yet XenForo releases versions like 2.2.7 Patch 1 that doesn't fit this in any way (Major: 2, Minor: 2, Patch: 7 - but what about the 1?)
    If this (XenForo releases, not documentation) scheme is followed, 1.2.3 Patch 10 would be 1020380
  • The documentation doesn't mention that the "missing" state identifiers are used to indicate "+10" for the state version with leads to interpretations like
    "version_id set to 1000447 which would be "1.0.4 (non-existing value between Alpha/Beta) 7"
    vs.
    Code:
    Enter a version ID. This integer will be used for internal version comparisons. Each release of your add-on should increase this number:  1000447
    Version string set to: 1.0.4 Beta 17
Ideally I'd like to see this cleaned up entirely:
  1. Remove version ID and only use standardized human readable versions numbers are used instead,
  2. Add a field in addon.json to point to a URL that returns machine-reabable latest version info (JSON, XML ... even plaintext with just the version number would probably work)
  3. Require (at xenforo.com) that resources posted in Add-ons have a matching version number for the resource and addon.json

The documentation doesn't mention that the "missing" state identifiers are used to indicate "+10" for the state version with leads to interpretations like
TIL :D

According to the documentation the recommended version ID format is aabbccde with cc representing the patch version, yet XenForo releases versions like 2.2.7 Patch 1 that doesn't fit this in any way (Major: 2, Minor: 2, Patch: 7 - but what about the 1?)
If this (XenForo releases, not documentation) scheme is followed, 1.2.3 Patch 10 would be 1020380
Hmm, I think they are trying to say here: https://xenforo.com/docs/dev/add-on-structure/#recommended-version-string-format that they don't follow it exactly themselves for XF releases... But it is quite oddly worded so you can interpret it however :D 🙈
Ideally I'd like to see this cleaned up entirely:
  1. Remove version ID and only use standardized human readable versions numbers are used instead,
  2. Add a field in addon.json to point to a URL that returns machine-reabable latest version info (JSON, XML ... even plaintext with just the version number would probably work)
  3. Require (at xenforo.com) that resources posted in Add-ons have a matching version number for the resource and addon.json
Yeah, those would definitely help, but let's see...

I ran into the "Patch level 10" problem myself recently: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/ampxf-amp-for-xenforo-2.8225/history, but honestly, it wasn't that much of a problem for me to bump the minor version a step instead :D
And some people are even afraid of those words and only install the "stable versions" that don't contain alpha/beta/RC/pl wording...

Maybe you guys have done this already, but Kier did mention if you're considering working on a feature to reach out and ask specific questions. With 2.3 around the corner, who knows what will come with it:

I personally would not be surprised to see something like this in 2.3 now that the XF cloud is up and running.

After about ~40-50h of work on the backend + addon I now think I have something that is viable for a beta test before releasing it to the wild... I still need to chuck the backend up to a server and configure that to run as it should, but hopefully sometime tomorrow we should be able to start a short beta test of the addon... I don't suspect it will be long before the addon is launched after that, but still...

The first 10 people to respond to this message will be invited to a PM for testing the addon before it goes live :)
(Note that you'll need a valid XF license to participate)

After about ~40-50h of work on the backend + addon I now think I have something that is viable for a beta test before releasing it to the wild... I still need to chuck the backend up to a server and configure that to run as it should, but hopefully sometime tomorrow we should be able to start a short beta test of the addon... I don't suspect it will be long before the addon is launched after that, but still...

The first 10 people to respond to this message will be invited to a PM for testing the addon before it goes live :)

Please make sure I get in on this.

I'm interested to test the addon on one of my forum :)

Sure! I'll help.

Happy to test.

Damn - to late. :(

If we can made a "Oceans eleven" from ;) - I have 2 forum licences active and are a add-on junkie and translate add-ons to German language.
If this litle bit slime helps... fine, its good slime. If not - double damn... :D ;)

I'm not that eager to beta test things, as I'm running on XF Cloud and don't have any fallback.
But I really like Mazzly's work, like his AMP add-on which is high quality, so I have good hopes for this!

Top Bottom