Add-on Chat 2 Testing

No one is going to seriously test the add-on with guests messing around the way they are. Allowing guests to post/shout should probably be disabled.

Guests are chatting in a dedicated room. Users who want to test all the features, will have to register. Guests can only use certain features.

Have you tested the global commands, custom user commands, private conversations, status, etc? :)

I've tested everything I can think of and don't see any problems.

relax, we all want it but when it's ready, it's ready. Siropu even said himself in chat some features like prune hasn't been implemented yet. XF2 is still in beta itself. There is no rush. I'd rather wait till it's ready and has all standard features implemented.

what is diferent in this version?
  • Chat 2 uses XF editor instead of the old custom editor and you can choose which button/BBcode to disable.
  • Rooms have now new features such as: Read only, Locked until x date, Auto-prune messages every x hours, setting a Thread ID to post messages in a thread as well.
  • Room list shows now who's in the room, under the room name.
  • When scrolling to the end of the messages in both rooms and conversations, a button will show up to load more messages.
  • You can also find messages using the /find command.
  • Conversations tab now show up the number of online users and conversation list shows an online indicator for each user. Statuses are displayed as well.
  • You can link to a room for users to join directly, both in normal view and full page.
  • You can enable a guest room.
  • You can set order for room list and user list.
  • Message edits now use the built in edit history so you can view and compare edits.
  • Both room and conversation reports are now handled via the moderator "Reports" section that is part of XF.
  • You can link to a message in the archive to view that message along with the other messages posted before and after.
  • Bot notifications now support Media Gallery and Resource Manager activity with custom bot name and custom room.
  • Rules and notices can be edited using the XF editor.
  • You can add your own commands and manage the current ones.
  • /invite command to invite users join the room you are in.
  • New rooms widget.
  • And more...

relax, we all want it but when it's ready, it's ready. Siropu even said himself in chat some features like prune hasn't been implemented yet. XF2 is still in beta itself. There is no rush. I'd rather wait till it's ready and has all standard features implemented.
A lot of people (including myself) don't mind running things in their beta stages and until it's complete. I can't think of a better way to test something.

It is all looking very interesting! :D There are some nice improvements in the XF2 version of Chat that's for sure. Well done! (y)

Some comments:/suggestions:
  • The Xenforo 2 editor and WYSIWYG text formatting is a great improvement! But I am wondering if a dedicated submit button can optionally be added for submitting typed messages. Using a font awesome icon (rather than "submit") would keep the button's real estate to a minimum.
  • I like that the chat image attachments are now all in one window (existing uploads/upload a new image). Is there any plans to link together "Insert image..." and "Chat image uploads" like how Xenforo 2 has an "Upload image" and "By URL" tab? I predict at least one person new to or unfamiliar with chat on my site will try to paste local link (e.g. C:\path\to\local\image.jpg) using the Insert image box.
  • Editing a chat message wouldn't refresh that instance of chat to show the updated message, but the edit overlay did show the updated message and reloading the chat would show the updated message.
  • Creating new rooms without a description shows an error (that's fine), but then the create room overlay doesn't show again. As a result, any entered room info needs to be typed again.
  • Posting chat messages to threads: I tried this but there seems to be a permission issue on viewing the targeted thread. Is this a one-way process (chat to thread only)? Just wondering what would happen if someone replied to the thread that the chat messages were being posted to.
  • Suggestion: Could chat private conversations be potentially configured by the admin to save as a standard Xenforo conversation?
  • While idling in chat for a while, an Xenforo error occured: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console." In the console the message was "PHP: An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later." The issue here is several error messages appeared over the top over one another (growing with each chat refresh), so I am wondering if it is possible to limit how many of these errors show at once. Since it is a core Xenforo error maybe it isn't possible..?

While idling in chat for a while, an Xenforo error occured: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console." In the console the message was "PHP: An unexpected database error occurred. Please try again later." The issue here is several error messages appeared over the top over one another (growing with each chat refresh), so I am wondering if it is possible to limit how many of these errors show at once. Since it is a core Xenforo error maybe it isn't possible..?
Did it say something about security? If so, that's a known XF2 bug and doesn't have anything to do with the add-on.

@PaulK No it didn't mention security. The browser console points to js/xf/core-compiled.js, defaultAjaxError. It isn't so much the error itself, but potentially the number of errors that I was drawing attention to. Let's say the database stops responding to queries for a minute... with a chat refresh rate of 5 seconds, this would mean 11-12 errors would need to be dismissed. The question is if the first error hasn't been dismissed yet, can subsequent errors be ignored and not displayed on top of the first one? But as it is being generated by Xenforo 2 files I don't know if that is possible.

A lot of people (including myself) don't mind running things in their beta stages and until it's complete. I can't think of a better way to test something.

Yeah but your asking for it to be released after just the very first preview was even announced.

Yeah but your asking for it to be released after just the very first preview was even announced.

Of course he is excited to test the chat 2 out, it was scheduled to be released a week ago.

I'm pleased to announce that Chat 2 BETA 1 for XenForo 2 will be released next week on Monday or Tuesday by the end of the day. Chat 2 is not an update for Chat 1.x, it is a complete rewrite and it will be released as a separate add-on from Chat 1.x. Current Chat 1.x customers with an active license, will get Chat 2 without having to purchase it. Once Chat 2 BETA 1 is released, it will have to be purchased separately from Chat 1.x.

Customers who want to get Chat 2 when it is released, without having to purchase it separately, will have to renew Chat 1.x license until Monday.

So if course there is a bit of excitement and wanting to test it out fully on his site. It will only benefit the product by testing on as many installations as possible..

Top Bottom