As designed Change Your Vote in Poll not working properly

AndyB

When I vote in a poll and then later decide I want to change or remove my vote, I click the "Change Your Vote" button and my vote is removed (or no longer shown). At this point I might decide that I don't want to vote at all in this poll and leave the thread. This unfortunately is not how the "Change Your Vote" button works, my vote was not removed as shown, rather it was just not showing. If I reload the page my vote shows again.

I feel this is a bug as it shows the vote as being removed when I click the "Change Your Vote" button, but it reality the vote is not removed. Very confusing.

Please change the button to read, "Remove My Vote" and change the code to actually remove the vote when the button is clicked. If I then decide to vote again I can, or choose not to vote.

Thank you.

Can you provide some reproduction steps?

I'm not seeing any button named Change Your Vote nor can I find a phrase called changed_your_vote.

Edit: Never mind. I think these were things added in 1.4, which I assume you're on?

That would be a suggestion, surely?

The button is clear: "Change my vote". It is designed to change your vote, not remove an existing one.

Can you provide some reproduction steps?

I'm not seeing any button named Change Your Vote nor can I find a phrase called changed_your_vote.

Edit: Never mind. I think these were things added in 1.4, which I assume you're on?

Correct this is on XenForo v1.4 RC1.

That would be a suggestion, surely?

The button is clear: "Change my vote". It is designed to change your vote, not remove an existing one.

I feel this is a bug because it shows removing the vote when the button is clicked when in reality it's not removing the vote.

If I were to click the "Change Your Vote" button and my current vote remained on the screen, then it would work logically. However the current vote is removed from view which most people would assume the vote has been removed.

As the button is labeled "change your vote", it is explicitly not "remove your vote". It is a 2 step process. As such, this is as designed. I'm pretty sure there is already a suggestion relating to vote removal.

I'm bumping this one since I'm seeing this identically with @AndyB

Here's a perfect example.

I have a poll with 4 options where people can only select one.

A vote takes place and there is a consensus, however there are then 2 possible branches from the decision. So instead of creating a new thread with a new poll, what I did was edit the poll to add 2 "sub options" which are really just additional things you can select.

Then I changed the options so that people can select unlimited options and told everyone to "change their vote".

Calamity ensued, as people went to change their vote, and when they did so, their previously selected check was removed. So they go to vote for another option and save and their first vote is now gone.

Now I have to explain to them what's going on and to remember to re-check what they already voted for.

Clicking "Change your vote" should not wipe out the previous selection.

I feel this is a bug because it shows removing the vote when the button is clicked when in reality it's not removing the vote.
I completely agree here. This might not be a "bug" per se, but it is not logical functionality at all. One should be able to select "Change my vote" then actually uncheck the box (leaving none checked) and save that (or "vote") and have their vote effectively removed by doing so. That is what logically I would expect, from the perspective of the end-user. What I see selected is how I intend my vote to be. If I go to change my selection, I should see what I already have selected, then change it.

How it works right now is inherently confusing, on many levels. It's really "reset my vote but only if I vote for something else otherwise don't change it but make it look like it did kind of" which is rather difficult to fit on a button.

Top Bottom