CentOS 7 released

Guess either they aren't releasing or haven't compiled the minimal install (think they call it their ServerCD) one yet. Every repository I've looked at hasn't had it.
Will have to grab the netinstall to try out...

Guess either they aren't releasing or haven't compiled the minimal install (think they call it their ServerCD) one yet. Every repository I've looked at hasn't had it.
Will have to grab the netinstall to try out...

They haven't pushed a minimum install yet.

They haven't pushed a minimum install yet.
Had a feeling that probably was what it was. I couldn't see them making a major version jump like that without a minimal/server setup CD/ISO.
I'll just wait till they push it out and then give it a run on a VPS. Thinking about starting a "Funny Quotes" site up and that might work out well... I'm sure I'll have a few I could add once I started using it. :whistle:

Something to do with size requirements, they're struggling to fit it all in.

Been having a play today, seems like theres a lot of little things added in which are nice to have!

...seems like theres a lot of little things added in which are nice to have!
Yes, and this one in particular.
For the first time, there is a supported upgrade path from CentOS-6 to CentOS-7. This path is only supported from the latest version of CentOS-6 (being 6.5 at the time of writing) to the latest version of CentOS-7.

Other than the upgrade path, which is nice, I don't see anything really that tremendous in the OS that I really want or require at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something? systemd is a nice addition, but is that it?

Other than the upgrade path, which is nice, I don't see anything really that tremendous in the OS that I really want or require at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something?
I'd say that this CentOS version, like most server operating system updates, is less about tremendous feature-sets that will make you want to upgrade than it is about being an evolutionary step in a platform that offers long-term predictability and stability. There's no big reason to upgrade now, or even soon. But eventually, it will make a lot of sense to be running the newest version, if not for being on a newer Linux kernel then at least to evolve forward before update support expires. No rush at all now. But eventually...

Other than the upgrade path, which is nice, I don't see anything really that tremendous in the OS that I really want or require at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something? systemd is a nice addition, but is that it?

That + the containerization improvements. I think the next few months are going to be very interesting as people really get their teeth into the rapid deployment possibilities and the knowledge becomes more widespread.

Been having a play today, seems like theres a lot of little things added in which are nice to have!
same here https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centos-7-0-install-on-virtualbox-guest-server.730/ :)

systemd is going to take some getting use to for folks like me that never used it :)

having 3.10 kernel is great though to implement some newer TCP level performance tweaks etc. But you could do that with CentOS 6.5 and main line kernels and using Oracle Linux 6.x UEK Kernels already.

Top Bottom