1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CentOS 7 released

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Walter, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member

2. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Guess either they aren't releasing or haven't compiled the minimal install (think they call it their ServerCD) one yet. Every repository I've looked at hasn't had it.
    Will have to grab the netinstall to try out...
  3. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They haven't pushed a minimum install yet.
  4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Had a feeling that probably was what it was. I couldn't see them making a major version jump like that without a minimal/server setup CD/ISO.
    I'll just wait till they push it out and then give it a run on a VPS. Thinking about starting a "Funny Quotes" site up and that might work out well... I'm sure I'll have a few I could add once I started using it. :whistle:
    SneakyDave likes this.
  5. Slavik

Something to do with size requirements, they're struggling to fit it all in.
  6. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

"= Given the popularity of the minimal install ISO in CentOS-6, we are
    going to try and deliver a minimal install ISO for CentOS-7 as well.
    One key challenge here is that the installer image has grown to nearly
    360MB, and getting enough content into a CD size image is proving hard."
  7. Slavik

Yea, that :D
  8. Slavik

Been having a play today, seems like theres a lot of little things added in which are nice to have!
  9. SamL

SamL Active Member

Yes, and this one in particular.
    Slavik likes this.
  10. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

Other than the upgrade path, which is nice, I don't see anything really that tremendous in the OS that I really want or require at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something? systemd is a nice addition, but is that it?
  11. SamL

SamL Active Member

I'd say that this CentOS version, like most server operating system updates, is less about tremendous feature-sets that will make you want to upgrade than it is about being an evolutionary step in a platform that offers long-term predictability and stability. There's no big reason to upgrade now, or even soon. But eventually, it will make a lot of sense to be running the newest version, if not for being on a newer Linux kernel then at least to evolve forward before update support expires. No rush at all now. But eventually...
    Slavik likes this.
  12. Slavik

That + the containerization improvements. I think the next few months are going to be very interesting as people really get their teeth into the rapid deployment possibilities and the knowledge becomes more widespread.
    SneakyDave likes this.
  13. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

same here https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centos-7-0-install-on-virtualbox-guest-server.730/ :)

systemd is going to take some getting use to for folks like me that never used it :)

having 3.10 kernel is great though to implement some newer TCP level performance tweaks etc. But you could do that with CentOS 6.5 and main line kernels and using Oracle Linux 6.x UEK Kernels already.
    SneakyDave and Slavik like this.
  14. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

It's about time they have an upgrade path. That is a HUGE new feature.
    Tracy Perry and SamL like this.
  15. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

Well not huge if you're on CentOS 6.5 32bit with <256MB memory VPS heh
    WSWD likes this.
  16. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha!! That's a very good point! :D
  17. ŽivaAkcija

ŽivaAkcija Well-Known Member

does centos 7 support latest version of mariadatabase
  18. Nuno

Nuno Active Member

Xon likes this.
  19. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

MariaDB is actually default in 7.1 but if you want the latest you will need to do what @Nuno said anyways.