CDN

Jafo

Will there be any considerations for CDNs? I had to create a product for our sites to utilize origin pull over at Softlayer and even so, found it tricky to hook in everywhere I needed too (i.e. public attachments). Will there be any thought given to this in development?

What makes you so sure it won't be available? I'm not saying whether it will or it won't, but nobody except Mike or me is in a position to make an assumption like that.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm not trying to take a position that obviously belongs to you and Mike. I don't want to excuse myself but maybe there was a misunderstanding with the language. Sometimes it's hard to express myself in english and these kind of situations occur. I'm really sorry.

Really the only things I find that need to be considered is the ability to change the domain names in the paths dynamically. In VB 3.8.x I basically tie into the stylevars and add my cdn.mydomain.com url to the beginning of them. It is not however, very consistent. There were many other places where I had to manually edit templates, and other places I had to do search/replace on some data, not to mention css.

I use the same CDN implementation across all of my forums, in that I move some styling images and elements to my CDN. This is transferable to XenForo.

I assume you want further integration at moving the Javascript files as well? Might have a look at that. It can either fail or work.

CDN support for attachments , js files and images is very important and hopefully it will make it.

I tried this with vBulletin, and it failed. Uploading attachments was a pain, and basically, I had to make a script to upload to the CDN, via FTP. As you can imagine, this increased the time taken for the attachment to get there, causing frustration.

I did this with the origin pull method by softlayer and was able to put most of the javascript, css, public attachments, avatars, forum icons (entire /images directory), profile pics, album pics, and social group pics on the cdn. According to Pingdom it really sped up the end user experience world wide.

I did this with the origin pull method by softlayer and was able to put most of the javascript, css, public attachments, avatars, forum icons (entire /images directory), profile pics, album pics, and social group pics on the cdn. According to Pingdom it really sped up the end user experience world wide.

How did the script upload the profile pics, album pics etc?

agreed, would love CDN support, should focus on the cost effective ones to start

maxcdn is what i use 1000GB for US$10 special and now they have 1000GB for US$39.95

tried simplecdn, rackspace cloud, amazon s3/cloudfront, and maxcdn. Maxcdn is easily my pick :D

Kier for price of entry into cdn, maxcdn would be a nice starter to look into adding cdn support :)

I tried this with vBulletin, and it failed. Uploading attachments was a pain, and basically, I had to make a script to upload to the CDN, via FTP. As you can imagine, this increased the time taken for the attachment to get there, causing frustration.

linux os and symlinks, are your friend :)

I'd assume an origin-pull based CDN service should work out of the box with relative ease. vB 4 doesn't "officially" support CDNs either but I easily rewrote all my image paths to reference the CDN (we use Akamai).

Top Bottom