• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

As designed Categories on category page not at level 0.

Affected version
2.0.0 Beta 1

Liam W

This may not technically be a bug, but I think it should be improved.

I currently have a category as a child of another category, and I'm linking to the parent category's page via a navigation entry.

This shows the child category on the page, but it's still displayed as if it were a child of another category. I would've though that, because we're on the categories page (essentially making that category the 'root' node), that the category would be displayed like it is on other pages - with the category header and the sub-forums displayed underneath.

Liam

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
I'm not really following your explanation. Screenshots and/or steps to reproduce would be helpful.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I think we're talking roughly about a structure like this:

1504791277831.png

And having the categoryOwnPage option enabled.

And the fact that going to the Top level category page looks like this:

1504791340289.png

Whereas perhaps you'd want it to look like this:

1504791378143.png

I'm not certain I agree as you're already viewing a level greater than 0.

To be fair, it doesn't always make it correct, but it hasn't changed since XF1:

1504791443661.png

Liam W

Yeah, that's what I mean @Chris D.

I realised after I posted it that it was the same in XF1, but in XF1 you couldn't set a node as a tab in stock. In XF2, as a category can have it's own tab, it might be considered to act as a second forum list.

Liam

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
This is generally as designed then.

There are situations where multiple levels could be helpful, but there are also a lot where it looks weird. Notably, if you start having forums directly under the category in question (particularly with further sub-forums). It generally only makes sense to display two levels if you have categories under it. That starts to get into the territory of a per category option.